November 26, 2020, 14:31:18 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 26, 2020, 14:31:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Radian wing stall

Started by Allanding, October 05, 2013, 20:27:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Allanding

just put the radian into the ground again.Turning (fairly tight) with the power on slightly more than half throttle into and then with the wind direction. The inner wing dropped and that was it, I could not bring it back to level flight. I was hoping to maiden an easy glider pro soon but having second thoughts. :-\ Is a plane with ailerons easier to recover from a wing stall. If that is what caused the problem?

One Life Fly It

It is a glider ! Just try being a bit more gentle . I learnt rudder elevator and you just have to allow a little more time for response . I think the easy glider might be more suited to power flight ? Have you got some help ?

Alex
Here for a good time , not a long time !

JohnP

Don't turn so tightly! 

A wing stalls when its angle of incidence (the angle it makes to the oncoming air) exceeds a critical value.  At this point drag increases sharply and lift decreases sharply.  You don't need to be flying slowly for it to happen - though that is probably the most common time for it to occur.  I've had planes which from fast, level flight, if full up elevator is applied the wing will stall.  That was the last manoeuvre my Akrostar ever did...  :''  At speed it can be quite dramatic!
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Bad Raven

It's good to hear someone exploring the envelope to the limit ................................and beyond  ;)

Having said that, the ultra stable rudder/elevator Radian takes some stalling!!   :''

A stall is a stall and Ailerons are not going to do much more if anything when there is no airflow over them.
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Allanding

Quote from: One Life Fly It on October 05, 2013, 20:33:08 pm
It is a glider ! Just try being a bit more gentle . I learnt rudder elevator and you just have to allow a little more time for response . I think the easy glider might be more suited to power flight ? Have you got some help ?

Alex
If you have time to react what is the best action to take. Yes I,ve got help at the club, and will be calling on their experiences :af

SmarTmartY

Quote from: Allanding on October 06, 2013, 11:57:28 am
If you have time to react what is the best action to take. Yes I,ve got help at the club, and will be calling on their experiences :af

Explore the limits a lot higher up mate, at least 2 mistakes high I believe. She'll do tight turns, but needs a bit of time and room to level off, even at full rates with the motor running. It's been a few years since I flew the Rad, a lovely lady who helped me get started in RC. Battered and scraped, but she still lasted longer than my Radian Pro  :embarassed:

Allanding

Quote from: SmarTmartY on October 06, 2013, 12:19:03 pm
Explore the limits a lot higher up mate, at least 2 mistakes high I believe. She'll do tight turns, but needs a bit of time and room to level off, even at full rates with the motor running. It's been a few years since I flew the Rad, a lovely lady who helped me get started in RC. Battered and scraped, but she still lasted longer than my Radian Pro  :embarassed:
All ready to go again, More batters and scrapes but as you say will last a bit longer. As long as i remember that height is inversely proportional to glue. ;D

Old Geezer

I would definitely follow your instincts and go for the EGPro when your current steed finally goes to the Knackers Yard.
As long as the c.g. is right and you have a bit of differential on the ailerons with an EGPro, you will require quite a lot of determination to tip stall it.
Can someone remind me what I came in here for.

SpeedsterDEN

Testing the Radian

Cheers
Soren
Dynamic soaring will change your life..

DarrellW

Soren you make it look too easy!! We all know that it takes years of flying to be able to do that confidently; but it does prove that the model will do it when correctly set up and with the right skill at the helm.
I too have had problems with tip stall (on my Super Kinetic - notorious for it!) but the solution is the same keep your plane flatter in the turn by more careful planning and using rudder more. There are mechanical aids to help prevent this happening like vortex generators but using them won't teach you how to avoid it.
Practice is the answer, but as said do it much higher; if a wing drops you need to follow it to regain control before you pull out, obviously if you are low you will have no room for error.
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!