RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 26, 2020, 14:29:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Fun with a HobbyKing Mini-DLG

Started by Phil_G, August 03, 2013, 22:39:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_G

August 03, 2013, 22:39:47 pm Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 22:41:47 pm by Phil_G
Just got back from an hour down Ponty park with the HobbyKing Mini-DLG, great fun and simplicity itself - just the tranny and the model, no boxes, no batteries, no glowstart, no problems!
I'm completely new to DLG but my half-arsed launches were getting about 80 to 100' ish with the occasional good one by fluke and a scary one where it somehow ended up inverted behind me!   It really rides any air currents - surprising how even small undulations in a flat field move quite wide columns of air around.

I learned a few things:
DLG flying is great fun!
I love the whistle as it climbs...
Not catching the stall can cost you half a launch...
The centrifugal bloodrush to your launch-hand is quite painful...
Tuck your fingers well round the pegs or it releases early at some embarrassing launch angle
The Mini-DLG does nice tight loops, flick rolls, & will hold inverted for a short while before it flicks out

The model itself is really nicely made and goes together in a couple of minutes - no really it does!
Theres bags of room for 'ordinary' radio without anything fancy or expensive, I used a little Frsky V8R4 (actually the one with the repaired aerial)  [link] and a single 400mah lipo cell. (Frsky receivers are fine on 1S - dont try that with your Spekky rx!)
Dunno what servos they are, they're already fitted and neatly linked up to their pushrods.
CG came out right without any adjustment and I didnt need to use any tx trims - it just flies and flies!

Well chuffed, highly recommended.
HK Mini-DLG link
Cheers
Phil

One Life Fly It

Was considering getting one myself, what wing is the peg on ? Is it changeable ?

Alex
Here for a good time , not a long time !

Mudders

The video says it can be done  :af

Muds  :)

One Life Fly It

Phil_G

August 04, 2013, 13:03:48 pm #4 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 13:12:02 pm by Phil_G
Theres a peg pre-fitted to the left wing for the majority who are right handed, but theres also another loose peg provided, the reinforcement is there on the right wing and the new peg just pushes through with a dab of cyano or epoxy.
My arm aches quite a bit this morning!
Cheers
Phil

One Life Fly It

Great pics , thanks Phil  :af  .

Just gonna wait u til SWMBO goes to bed tonight and order one  :ev

Alex

Phil_G

Quote from: One Life Fly It on August 04, 2013, 15:47:07 pm
Great pics , thanks Phil
not mine, I linked to the HobbyKing pics!
I'd been waiting ages for them to arrive over here, got impatient and ordered mine from the International warehouse, I see they're here now and I could have saved a bit of postage!  On face value you might think its a lot for a chuck-glider but its exquisitly made & covered, with all the carbon its  more engineering than aeromodelling, really nice.  Swings & roundabouts though, in the same order I got a duff R615 receiver...
Cheers
Phil

RGN

Phil, you say you used a 1S LiPo - is that correct, and did the servos work OK on it? Or does it need a 2S?

Thanks

Richard
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Phil_G

Thats right Richard, a single cell. Its  a 400mAh modelpart one. The included servos seem fine, plenty fast enough. For S/C models we often use a single lipo cell with a Frsky rx, my Multiplex Fox glider is another thats been flying two seasons now on a single cell, it has two DYS 2.5gm servos. Remember the rx runs from 3.3v and the Frsky regulator is very low dropout and the rx is very well decoupled. I havent actually tested these particular HK servos down to brownout but they showed no signs of slowing or cogging after two hours of continuous use today.
Cheers
Phil

RGN

Phil, thanks for that. I'll be ordering one to add to my Alula DLG! ( I really must stop getting into more and more types of flying!)

Richard
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Phil_G

August 06, 2013, 21:13:06 pm #10 Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 22:56:56 pm by Phil_G
I enjoyed today, day off with granddaughter Chloe, we had breakfast at Squires biker cafe, then to Lotherton Hall, couple of hours in the playground and half an hour in the bird garden, bit of tadpoling around the lilly pond, then a couple of hours down Ponty Park with the Mini-DLG.
C was mimicking me by trying discus launches of her little mpx Fox, which made me smile  :af
The she found some caterpillars so that was her sorted for the afternoon!

We passed the tranny around today, the others had a good few flights each, although I did all the launching. Everyone seemed well impressed by the model and its behaviour!

I do love this model but now I cant help wondering what a full-sized DLG might be like! 

Cheers
Phil

Patmac

Just got a Mini DLG from HK UK. Ordered Sunday, arrived today. Actually when I ordered I didn't notice the default post option was Parcel Force 24, I was in no hurry & meant to use the cheapest option. 

The elevators are quite warped equal & opposite at the tips, the rudder also has a very small amount of warp, otherwise everything appears OK. If the elevators prove a problem I'll try un-warping with some gentle heat on a flat surface. The fuselage underpan is not black as in the photos, it's made of the same clear plastic as the canopy.

I've also fitted a Frsky V8R4 with single cell lipo, in my case a 350mAH. AUW is 140g & cg 80mm as per manual. I won't be discus launching but hope to use it for very light wind sloping & small ridge sites. Tomorrow looks possible with light on shore breeze predicted for my local cliffs   :xx
Pax vobiscum

Saxon

Quote from: Phil_G on August 06, 2013, 21:13:06 pm

I do love this model but now I cant help wondering what a full-sized DLG might be like! 

Cheers
Phil

By full size I guess you mean one of these ..........

3 Meter Giant HLG

Lol .... John

RGN

Does anyone know if the pod components are available as spares from anywhere?

One of the servos on mine gave out so I replaced it with an alternative and went flying - only problem was that the sense was opposite. I didn't realise until after launch - and then it took me longer to identify the problem than it took for the Mini-DLG to end it's flight!  :embarassed:

The pod is mashed but the rest of it is still fine!

I've checked the HobbyKing site and can't see spares there but wondered if anyone knows of suitable alternatives from elsewhere, please.

Thanks.

Richard