RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 30, 2020, 08:06:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Turn around pulley line length ?

Started by Allen the soarer, June 03, 2013, 15:38:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen the soarer

I have just got a couple of graupner high start pulleys for our club as hand tows can be hard work when the breeze is very gentle
does anyone know how much longer the line should be when using a turn around pulley

do I need to go as for 200m or with the ground distance be a lot less that the height ?[attachimg=1]
Don't buy something new
When you can hack something old

Allen the soarer

Don't buy something new
When you can hack something old

satinet

I don't really understand the question tbh. What are you using now?  High starts with bungee rubber?

And you want to use hand tows instead? With mono line?

The other way round?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

satinet

June 04, 2013, 12:34:28 pm #3 Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:46:44 pm by satinet
Sorry I got confused by the words high start.

As far as I know in F3j when they use two man tows they don't double the line back to the model like you do with a winch. I don't know how far beyond the turnaround they go though.

Ask an f3j pilot or something (barcs).

KeithB

As far as I recall there is no increase in line length. The idea is to reduce the effort of the towing person. I know when we were towing up gliders in Kent Interclub in the 90's the tow man placed the additional pulley over the line, plonked himself on the ground and held on for dear life as the tow man went towards the pilot. In general they were towing up balsa/plywood gliders and because of the increased speed were kited up quite quickly so did not lose too much of the line length.
Hope this helps.

KeithB

Neil Byrne

Hi
When We used the two man tow at Timperley club, the line length was double that of a one man tow, as a result the two runners were up by the launch point, as this made communication between pilot and runners easier and possibly safer, with not having two guys down bottom end of the field with an out of control model hurtling towards them!
Please ensure the stake it well and truly anchored in the ground!!
regards
Neil B