RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 26, 2020, 14:56:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

AvB DS videos from the other side of the planet

Started by AvB, May 19, 2013, 01:49:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AvB

I know some of you guys like watching these videos so this time I thought I'll post it here. I'll try to post a link to my future videos in this thread too.

I was lucky enough to get out DSing 2 days in a row! Not big wind but huge fun. This was yesterday -  beautiful day with fresh westerly wind, a big steep hill and RC sailplanes dynamic soaring! Paradise! This video shows just one small snippet of a perfect day, showing Shane acro DSing the old Fazer in a very inspiring fashion. I bought this Fazer second hand over 5 years ago. Had it for a year or more, had a few crashes and repairs, then sold it to Nick, who loved it but and smashed it up badly when it had a radio lockout and plummeted into a very hard tree at Lemontree. But it was finally repaired and sold to Pete L, who flew it at Bald Knob regularly then sold it to Shane! As you can see in this video, it still flies beautifully! Well, perhaps it could do with some new servo gears to get rid of that huge slop making it flutter so easily! Great fun, hope you like watching this!

Shane doing acrobatic dynamic soaring with the old Fazer at Larrikin Ridge - 18May2013 on Vimeo

hobster

Hi AvB, am a big fan of your videos, keep 'em coming  :af

Hey, I though it was nearly winter down-under? How come you're flying in shorts and t-shirts, yet we are still wearing thermals (was 10C on Saturday)   $%& .. oh yeah, this is England ... ::)

deckit

Belated thanks for posting, Andrew, keep 'em coming.

That looks to be a good site.

And now your two K2m to exercise there! :af

AvB

This is the best weather of the year! Perfect. Late last week we felt very discomfited that the daytime temp didn't get over 16 deg C and around 10 at night.

deckit

We ought to be in a similar position, but are not.

After our long, arctic-type winter the current weather feels relatively warm.
But the next next 4 nights covered by forecasts, the temp is due to fall to between 1 & 4*C. At the end of May. Crazy.

We're long overdue a proper summer.

And some big DS winds.........

AvB

I cannot conceive 1 - 4 deg C!! In your climate I am not sure I would be able to continue being a DS addict!

Thought you guys might like this one too, taken at Larrikin Ridge a few days ago. It's something in DS that most would think impossible, but I pulled it off. Well ... here's the thing, I took my 2 youngest girls out for a long DS expedition and they didn't get bored!! In fact they liked it!! The wind wasn't as big as I'd hoped but it was a beautiful day and since the girls grabbed the video camera and did quite a lot of filming and narrating, this is a different perspective from the usual DS video report! I really hope you like this and it inspires you to push the boundaries a bit further with family DS involvement!

Taking the girls DSing ... Larrikin Ridge with kids 24May2013 on Vimeo

AvB

Shamelessly off topic but my daughter Caitlin's band Belltalk has released the single from their upcoming EP. You can listen and download - payment is much appreciated but is voluntary.
http://belltalkband.bandcamp.com/

Well it's not totally off topic because these are the tracks you're going to hear behind my DS videos in future!

The band was previously called CaVa but after lots of stern advice that it was a name that just wouldn't rank in websearches, they chose a new name!

DS news has been a bit slow over here for the last couple of weeks. I think we're all still in shock after Alex's 456mph at Tekapo in NZ. Our conditions here feel rather paltry. Plus the weather hasn't been cooperating. Up here in Queensland/ Nth NSW we hang out for the westerly blows that come through in winter, which suit our prime DS sites of Cactus and Larrikin. A westerly might happen for a couple of days then nothing for a week ... or 4. Our Aussie DS forum on RCG goes quiet (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907821&page=966) and then when the blow starts, it moves up from somewhere north of Antarctica bringing cold air and snowfalls to our Alps, and by the time the weather gets another 2000km up to us, it's southwest wind at about 14 - 20 deg C and could be a 12 - 18 knot day on the hill, or 25 - 40 knots if we're incredibly lucky ... maybe twice a year.

Anyway the good news is a moderate westerly arriving tomorrow and we have parties ready to invade both Cactus and Larrikin on Saturday. I haven't built my K2M (waiting for servo frames) but it probably needs a bigger day anyway.

deckit

I cannot conceive 1 - 4 deg C!! In your climate I am not sure I would be able to continue being a DS addict!
Unquote

Better get yourself over to Pommieland next January, Andrew.
It'll be far too hot in Queensland, so come & chill-out here.

https://vimeo.com/58260088

AvB

Haaawwww I love watching that vid! Snow, heavy clothing, planes disappearing in cloud ... and those amazing accents too! Very nice laps for foamies too. Very smooth. If I had been there, and was using a nice fast response 2.4 system with fast servos, you'd see my plane doing a slightly corrugated circuit, following my shivering juddering thumbs! I don't know how you guys do it.

slopeflyer

June 18, 2013, 17:50:14 pm #9 Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 17:51:22 pm by slopeflyer
Ahhh, the summer, lets hope we have some good DS days like this year ...

Dynamic Soaring Skirrid Fawr on Vimeo

Alas my poor Fredy who is no more.

Geoff N

Not much time left now, nights are drawing in :'(. Roll on Autumn gales

deckit

Anyone up Skirrid today, Geoff?

Forecast looks good & I see Abbo put a call out, no doubt wishing to get some laps with his DSX.

Geoff N

I'm not sure, Will D was looking to go . I can't go, could be missing a good day. Got a Allo Allo rehearsal this afternoon :embarassed:

slopeflyer

Geoff, What's weather like down there? Raining up here earlier but suns out now. Forecast put me off, but looks better over the next week or so.

Geoff N

Weather was looking threatening this morning but has been mainly sunshine and clouds with 20 mph winds started wsw gradually moved to nw . see http://www.nicholdime.co.uk/weather/trends.htm for my garden weather center. I'm not sheltered for westerlies.
Wish I could have gone. Monday looks posible

cambrad

Quote from: deckit on June 23, 2013, 13:22:36 pm
Anyone up Skirrid today, Geoff?

Forecast looks good & I see Abbo put a call out, no doubt wishing to get some laps with his DSX.

You going up MT tommorrow G? Hoping to pop down a bit later in the day than usual and stay till after the crowds of walkers have gone. Got to make the most of these long evenings before they are no more :'(

Geoff N

June 23, 2013, 20:48:03 pm #16 Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 21:16:56 pm by Geoff N
QuoteYou going up MT tomorrow G? Hoping to pop down a bit later in the day than usual and stay till after the crowds of walkers have gone. Got to make the most of these long evenings before they are no more :'(

Am I crossing lines here ?  MT ? I'm going up the Skirrid Monday most probably get up there about 12 but no rush to come down.

Geoff

AvB

Make yourself a big mug of something nice and sit down ... I think you're going to enjoy this one.

This was filmed a couple of days ago when Shane, Sean and I took advantage of a too- rare winter westerly day at Larrikin Ridge ... it was a picture postcard day and we soaked up the sun, slope lift and clean DS shear with heaps of frontside action and fun DS, polishing off the day with a ritual "glassing off" sunset furball of 3 huge mouldies.

Flying action includes Needle DSL, two Vectors, the PU wing Scratcho, D60, Stratos DS and Caracho. The Willow, Compact BPV, another Scratcho and Shane's homebrew aerobat also flew but weren't caught on video.

Music:
"The Beginning" by BOY
"Bright Lights" by Belltalk
"Waitress" by BOY

https://vimeo.com/70935861

wdeighton

Quote from: AvB on July 24, 2013, 21:58:33 pm
Make yourself a big mug of something nice and sit down ... I think you're going to enjoy this one.

This was filmed a couple of days ago when Shane, Sean and I took advantage of a too- rare winter westerly day at Larrikin Ridge ... it was a picture postcard day and we soaked up the sun, slope lift and clean DS shear with heaps of frontside action and fun DS, polishing off the day with a ritual "glassing off" sunset furball of 3 huge mouldies.

Flying action includes Needle DSL, two Vectors, the PU wing Scratcho, D60, Stratos DS and Caracho. The Willow, Compact BPV, another Scratcho and Shane's homebrew aerobat also flew but weren't caught on video.

Music:
"The Beginning" by BOY
"Bright Lights" by Belltalk
"Waitress" by BOY

https://vimeo.com/70935861

Thanks Andrew.

It helps to see others are out there when we have not getting any wind at all.

I love those playful days with light DS

Will

AvB

August 09, 2013, 07:51:32 am #19 Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:52:38 am by AvB
Here's a video of some fun at Larrikin yesterday, when I maidened my Kinetic 2 metre (K2M).

K2M maiden and other fun at Larrikin - 8Aug2013 on Vimeo

wdeighton

hobster

So let me get this right... your winters are better than our summers... you have great DS ridges that you can drive to the top of... And now I learn that down-under DS planes grow on trees!    $%&
Add another spoon of tea to the pot, I'm finding out my passport  ;D

wdeighton

Aussie Slope Brilliance at Larrikin Ridge 23 July 2013 on Vimeo

Just watched this Vid from AvB and loved it.
He can go on a bit, but some od the things he does is realy good at sharing the whole effect.

The best sound track is the 3 f3f'ers furballing.

Thank you Andrew