RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 05, 2020, 15:35:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Binary 900 from HobbyKing?

Started by RGN, April 16, 2013, 21:57:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RGN

April 16, 2013, 21:57:57 pm Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 21:59:25 pm by RGN
I have a field at the back of my house and am thinking of getting a DLG to fly there - but as I've never done any DLG flying before I'd appreciate comments on the feasibility and my current model choice.

The field is about 155m wide by 230m long and is bounded by houses on three sides. Is this big enough for DLG or am I asking for trouble flying here? I'm a competent power and slope soarer flyer so I think it should be fine but would really like your collective wisdom :af

I'm considering a HobbyKing Binary 900 http://hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__25052__Binary_900_V2_0_DLG_Glider_Kit_900mm_UK_Warehouse_.html - is this a good choice for a beginner that apparently already has too many models (or so SWMBO says) so has to keep the cost down  :'' and has never flown a DLG?

Thanks.

Richard
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Phil_G

Rich, Scotty says he's trying to get the Mini-DLG into the UK warehouse (he didnt say when it might be!)
Thats the one I'm waiting for, apparently its fully fitted out apart from the rx.  Your field sounds fine to me, I'd fly there!
Cheers
Phil

RGN

Thanks, Phil, I'll keep an eye on the site.

I can't quite make it out - HobbyKing say it needs three servos but it seems to be rudder elevator only. Do you know which it is?

Richard
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

tomkfly

Quote from: RGN on April 16, 2013, 22:30:45 pm
Thanks, Phil, I'll keep an eye on the site.

I can't quite make it out - HobbyKing say it needs three servos but it seems to be rudder elevator only. Do you know which it is?

Richard

It says aileron - elevator in the blurb, so I guess it's 2 servos for aileron and one for elevators.

Tom
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at often change.        www.deesidemac.co.uk
Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch

Rob Thomson

The binary 900 can optionally have flaps installed.

IMHO...  You can get away with rudder elevator!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

RGN

Thanks, guys, for the responses  :af

Richard

jiberjaber

I wouldn't bother with the Binary 900 Richard, get yourself a 1.6m span proper DLG, the 900 is good for very light wind slope, but quite poor for actual flat field DLGing.

http://www.flyquiet.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1928.0

slope soaring the binary 900 dlg
Regards,
Jason "clickerty, click, click, flickerty flick"

Rob Thomson

I have had an unbuilt binary in my shed for the past year.   Your video has convinced me to build it!

Maybe before Lundy :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2