November 30, 2020, 07:03:17 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 30, 2020, 07:03:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Gyros

Started by Adam Richardson, January 14, 2011, 22:21:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deckit

The lack of decent flying weather's a real pain >:(

Your observations on an A3 in a decent plank will be very interesting.
What servos are you using?

Bad Raven

Quote from: deckit on July 07, 2012, 00:31:37 am
The lack of decent flying weather's a real pain >:(

Your observations on an A3 in a decent plank will be very interesting.
What servos are you using?

I wear glasses (astigmatism), so rain is a bar steward, even if light. SO many times recently its only been light rain, but enough to stop me. The other day I managed about ten mins flying in two hours before I gave up.......good job the car was close by every time it looked like it was stopping, back it came.................  :banghead:

The JW has S3152s currently.

Having proven that these Eagle A3 units give "weight" and "on rails" feeling to ultra lightweights in wind (on an elevons power delta as well as a conventional power plane), I'm not expecting any material difference on something heavier and inherently more stable when using digitals which will drive full power from rest.

I have a lightweight own design plank which can still penetrate above 20mph but by then is so nervous that I'm struggling with control reactions. Ok, so I'm 64 and age is not good for reactions, but I race cars (successfully) weekly (its in the plans to fit one to a car just to see!!) and fast power fixed wing set up very nervous several times a week, also Heli's, so my reactions are honed by that and so are faster than most.  I think this would be another ideal candidate, possibly even more so than the JW.

Funny I have two gyros not installed yet then!!.  ;)  The switchable A3PRO will go in the JW as there is more room to play around and for the extra size and leads.

Got to clear the decks on two builds first though, then make eight leads, or wait from China.................

The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

deckit

If the A3 PRO has worked well in a lighter model, I can't see either why it shouldn't work in a JW.
Just so long as it has enough definition (steps) on the elevator function.

If it does, I'll be getting one for my JW awaiting build (well, two actually....)

BTW, I wonder how many in UK would qualify for an old codgers DS club?
I'm 2 years behind you, so a dead-ringer. Then there's Ron Broughton.
Any other prepared to admit to this title? :'' :ev

hobster

Quote from: Bad Raven on July 07, 2012, 05:27:12 am
I wear glasses (astigmatism)

Me too and I wear Toric contact lenses for flying - have you tried toric (astigmatism correcting) contacts?

...tempted to get an A3 Pro for my next foamy build ..

Geoff N

Quote from: deckit on July 08, 2012, 19:47:44 pm
If the A3 PRO has worked well in a lighter model, I can't see either why it shouldn't work in a JW.
Just so long as it has enough definition (steps) on the elevator function.

If it does, I'll be getting one for my JW awaiting build (well, two actually....)

BTW, I wonder how many in UK would qualify for an old codgers DS club?
I'm 2 years behind you, so a dead-ringer. Then there's Ron Broughton.
Any other prepared to admit to this title? :'' :ev

Im just a boy at 59. Perhaps DS records should have age factored in? 259 x 65

Yoyo

Quote from: Geoff N on July 08, 2012, 20:29:02 pm
Im just a boy at 59. Perhaps DS records should have age factored in? 259 x 65

The Senior Backside Enthusiasts League?

Doing what you like is Freedom
Liking what you do is Happiness

deckit

Quote from: Yoyo on July 08, 2012, 21:35:29 pm
The Senior Backside Enthusiasts League?

For those with just enough to raise a smile....... ::)

Geoff N

Or those will just enough left to get it up ......the hill.
more over the hill thinking about it.

cambrad

November 19, 2013, 15:25:48 pm #88 Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 15:28:07 pm by cambrad
These have got to be worth a try at a stupidly low price ?
Only £11 from the uk warehouse.

Notice that it has no 2D wing levelling, and no Tx contolled master Gain, like the Eagle tree unit i use, but at £11 got to be worth putting one in a foamie just to see the results  :

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__47353__OrangeRX_RX3S_3_Axis_Flight_Stabilizer_V2_V2_1_firmware_V_tail_Delta_AUX_UK_Warehouse_.html

deckit

At least it's TX switchable, on/off only.

Given gain adjustments available only at the pots, it'll be useful over a limited range of plane speeds on any given setting.
So not suited to a fast DSer unless it's set up with low gain(s) for top-end performance, in which case at lower speeds its effect will be limited or negligible.

Probably OK as a cheap offering for a frontside potterer.

Bad Raven

Quote from: deckit on November 19, 2013, 16:59:23 pm
Given gain adjustments available only at the pots, it'll be useful over a limited range of plane speeds on any given setting.
So not suited to a fast DSer unless it's set up with low gain(s) for top-end performance, in which case at lower speeds its effect will be limited or negligible.

Sorry, don't understand this. On my gyros (lots of various types inc, Eagle A3/A3Pro, 401, 501, 611, 3X1000, 3X2000, IceMan) I set the gyro gain to be the maximum available that does not give electronic oscillation, and having done that the only factor affecting their performance at various speeds is the fineness in resolution and accuracy of the mechanics of servos/horns/etc, i.e. gain adjustment has not needed to be varied with airspeed.  Not tried in DS but have on both frontside gliders and a hotliner. What have I missed please?
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Geoff N

Hi I have one of these devices and as it comes out of the box its fairly useless with a lot of servo jitter especially if you use the AUX CONTROL to turn stabilization on and off
BUT if you flash it with Open flight stabilizer what a transformation.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672&highlight=rx3
Variable  heading hold and rate modes with controllable on /off and sensitivity from the TX .No jitter. It does
Single aileron
Delta
Vtail
Dual Aileron
and CPPM
See huge thread here

I have only used it in a Wild thing so far but Heading hold in 30MPH was all rather boring it just flew on rails. I was amazed at how little stick input was required.
Its a bit of a fiddle to flash the gyro .it needs special leads but i could do it for return postage.

deckit

Quote from: Bad Raven on November 19, 2013, 19:01:09 pm
Sorry, don't understand this. On my gyros (lots of various types inc, Eagle A3/A3Pro, 401, 501, 611, 3X1000, 3X2000, IceMan) I set the gyro gain to be the maximum available that does not give electronic oscillation, and having done that the only factor affecting their performance at various speeds is the fineness in resolution and accuracy of the mechanics of servos/horns/etc, i.e. gain adjustment has not needed to be varied with airspeed.  Not tried in DS but have on both frontside gliders and a hotliner. What have I missed please?

Nothing it seems, since you've optimized the gain level to suit the performance of your planes.

But if they were to go faster the gyro throws would be such as to overreact & hence cause the plane (use on ailerons) to waggle.

I've used Futaba GYA351(2-axis) & GYA352 (3-axis), both of which have Rate/AVCS modes & gain/s controllable from the TX.
So gain can be optimized in all conditions/plane speeds.

cambrad

Quote from: Geoff N on November 19, 2013, 19:19:09 pm
Hi I have one of these devices and as it comes out of the box its fairly useless with a lot of servo jitter especially if you use the AUX CONTROL to turn stabilization on and off
BUT if you flash it with Open flight stabilizer what a transformation.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672&highlight=rx3
Variable  heading hold and rate modes with controllable on /off and sensitivity from the TX .No jitter. It does
Single aileron
Delta
Vtail
Dual Aileron
and CPPM
See huge thread here

I have only used it in a Wild thing so far but Heading hold in 30MPH was all rather boring it just flew on rails. I was amazed at how little stick input was required.
Its a bit of a fiddle to flash the gyro .it needs special leads but i could do it for return postage.

Thanks for that Geoff, i will start reading that thread. Another im following on rc groups is the Eagle Tree giro thread and there are about 470 pages at the moment !

Dont understand what you mean by "flash it" ? Update the software???

Geoff N

November 19, 2013, 21:25:42 pm #94 Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 21:58:59 pm by Geoff N
Flashing for those of pure mind is the technical term for updating the firmware  (it does not go away when you turn the gyro off like software)
QuoteI've used Futaba GYA351(2-axis) & GYA352 (3-axis), both of which have Rate/AVCS modes & gain/s controllable from the TX.
So gain can be optimized in all conditions/plane speeds.

The RX3  has the same features once flashed

hobster

Hi Geoff, I bought one of the orange V2 gyros about six months ago. I tried it out with digital servos and they just jittered like crazy. I never tried the aux control. I couldn't understand why the gyro had so many positive reviews. But I tried it again a few weeks ago with some old analog servos and it seemed to work ok, without the jitters. So perhaps it is servo dependent?

Anyway, am thinking of using it in a Stab but waiting to see how well it works with the Stab servos (which are in the post). If they jitter, can I take you up on your kind offer of a reflash?

Geoff N

I've found it can be servo dependent.  It really gets bad if you try to use the aux channel. Totally different beast if flashed.no problem re flashing your gyro

wdeighton

Quote from: cambrad on November 19, 2013, 21:15:20 pm
Thanks for that Geoff, i will start reading that thread. Another im following on rc groups is the Eagle Tree giro thread and there are about 470 pages at the moment !

Dont understand what you mean by "flash it" ? Update the software???

yes this is connecting the gyro to a computer, and putting on some new software.

cambrad

Quote from: hobster on November 19, 2013, 22:07:07 pm
Hi Geoff, I bought one of the orange V2 gyros about six months ago. I tried it out with digital servos and they just jittered like crazy. I never tried the aux control. I couldn't understand why the gyro had so many positive reviews. But I tried it again a few weeks ago with some old analog servos and it seemed to work ok, without the jitters. So perhaps it is servo dependent?

Anyway, am thinking of using it in a Stab but waiting to see how well it works with the Stab servos (which are in the post). If they jitter, can I take you up on your kind offer of a reflash?

Just noticed on the link i posted for the Orange stabilizer that the unit is the V2 version with improvements to support for digi servos.   See quote below taken from the ad.

"Note: All RX3S V2 stabilizers now ship with an upgraded firmware version (V2.1) which provides improved stability and better support for high-sensitivity digital servos".

Steve, maybe you have the V1 version? And hence the jittery digi servos?

hobster

Interesting. Mines definitely the smaller V2 version but may not with the firmware upgrade (V2.1). Certainly has the jitters with Turnigy 712 servos.

tilmanb

There is also a opensource firmware for that module. It's a bit of a pain to burn it on but it's pretty powerful.

Bad Raven

Quote from: cambrad on November 22, 2013, 16:57:12 pm
"Note: All RX3S V2 stabilizers now ship with an upgraded firmware version (V2.1) which provides improved stability and better support for high-sensitivity digital servos".

Steve, maybe you have the V1 version? And hence the jittery digi servos?

It would not surprise me AT ALL if that Gyro had been issued with deficient/incomplete/flawed firmware as my experiences with several different makes and models of 3 Axis gyro have proven.  It seems to be endemic to the breed rather than a trait of one manufacturer that the user base is the Alpha (let alone Beta) Testing Group!

As a example, the CopterX 3X2000 gyro (not suggesting this for DS as not tested, but it well might) was an atrocious piece of dung up to and including firmware v2.1, ONLY when 2.4 was finally issued (and this was a long while after commercial launch!) did the gyro actually start doing what it was supposed to!!  NOW?, Well I quite like it and have bought more, it's a completely different Beast (pun intended) altogether.  ;)