November 30, 2020, 07:05:17 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 30, 2020, 07:05:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

DS-UK Speeds...

Started by deckit, November 15, 2009, 20:07:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deckit

Just to mention there's a big forecast for HH this Friday.

wdeighton

Quote from: deckit on December 17, 2014, 15:11:45 pm
Just to mention there's a big forecast for HH this Friday.

Or the skirrid.

deckit

Well, 2014 might have been branded the best summer & warmest year since records began, but it was also by some margin the quietest year in my experience on the slopes!
Hoping 2015 brings plenty of top sloping & DS experiences & with it the customary companionship fun & banter enjoyed over many years.
:uk:

Anthony

hobster

+2
Was hoping to start 2015 with a session at RE tomorrow but now looks unlikely with the forecasting showing fog  :banghead:

Jonathan W

Happy New Year All.

I'm looking forward to 2015.

I hope the forecast is wrong for tomorrow  :xx :xx

TrainPaul

Have a great New Year lads,

Looks like there may be at least a 2-3hour spell after midday tomorrow when conditions at RE will be sweet. Not sure if its worth the trip yet so will decide tomoz but I'm itching to crank some laps.

wdeighton

Groove start to the new year

There is some footage of Jon W's models but its on Face book and I dont know how to link them.

Jonathan W

January 03, 2015, 10:39:20 am #1248 Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:50:52 am by Jonathan W
Williams Groove Armada

Anthony

UK record now 357mph with a DS 130.

pike pro

January 11, 2015, 12:20:34 pm #1250 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 14:19:25 pm by pike pro
Well done john :af
Jools

TrainPaul

A great achievement which I hope will re-energise the DS scene in the UK. The benchmark is now certainly set in the sand for many people to aim at. Get the planes and crank the speeds .....preferably 130inch span  ;D :af !. Feeling the buzz Jon.

Jonathan W

January 12, 2015, 00:07:34 am #1252 Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:24:17 am by Jonathan W
Thanks, but I could have gone much faster.  Not feeling the buzz yet with the Kinetic 130 but i did when flying my d40 last year @261 and K2M at 323.

Jonathan W

wdeighton

Quote from: Anthony on January 11, 2015, 01:44:35 am
UK record now 357mph with a DS 130.

Just to be clear. This statement is false. It was done by Jonathan Wells flying a 130" Kinetic.
I salute the man that carries a Dynamic130 up any south wales slpoes!

Well done to jon.

The K130 was only just getting on step, the K2M Seemd to accelerate better, but being smaller is a bit harder to control. It was Jons first K2M flight with his new transmitter so needs some more setting up or I believe the speeds would have been closer.

Also the Sun was in the top turn of the anti'clockwise circuit which was the faster circuit of the day. This meant we had to wait for cloud cover. I flew very little because of this.

If we can get more good days this season, the uk record could fall by alot more. with 2 130" (1 kinetic and 1 dynamic) models and the 2 100" Kinetics in hads of flyers, as long as shifts, weather, possibilities of holidays align.

O Ye and sorry about the bad video. I was concentrating on the speed not the video.

Anthony

Ooops......I meant to put K130 as well.......doh.

deckit

What direction was the wind, Will?

Recall forecast was WNW (dead-on the windward face), though some who've had considerable experience of the site appear to favour West, so given your comments on circuit directions the actual direction is of interest.

Thinking too that a WNW might better assist landings in the patch of long grass immediately below the ridge.

deckit

So, MO's forecast for MT tonight is due South 40g65.

Perhaps one day we'll be lucky enough to get that in daylight.
And without the rain......

In which event, tripping to S.Wales no longer required!

Jonathan W

Graham,

The wind was between W and WNW.  Landing isn't a problem either way from W.

wdeighton

Quote from: deckit on January 14, 2015, 19:20:55 pm
So, MO's forecast for MT tonight is due South 40g65.

Perhaps one day we'll be lucky enough to get that in daylight.
And without the rain......

In which event, tripping to S.Wales no longer required!

Some people prefer flying in south wales.
Better landings, and a more predictable back side!

But in that directions for ccw flyers the sun in an issue. a but like mt NW slope

Jonathan W

January 18, 2015, 08:58:09 am #1260 Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 18:09:19 pm by Jonathan W
Quote from: deckit on February 08, 2014, 16:40:40 pm
Speeds will be posted soon, after a bit of cross-checking.
Includes:
-Hill record smashed by Jon. :af
-D40 WORLD RECORD by Jon. :af   :uk:
- D60 PB for Paul (>300)  :af
- Even faster Stab Elite, by Steve  :af
- Big jump in PB for Ron  :af
etc!

All in rather less wind than forecast; steady 20/25, strongest gusts to about 40 mph.
But then the forecast snow/sleet didn't arrive either, just a couple of brief showers so light they could be flown through.
Yet, in spite of the wind being almost dead-on the ridge, backside conditions were hairy with plenty of strong winds, turbulence & suck-downs.

The hoped-for K100, D130 & DSX didn't materialize; shame, they would have gone very nicely.

Speeds of mine from this day : -

D60 309
K2m 323

Jon

TrainPaul

Anyone fancy a trip to RE on Friday. Forecast currently looks good.

abbof3f

Hi Paul,happy new year mate!,looking at skirrid for sat you interested?
plonker!

TrainPaul

Happy New Year 2 u Mark. Busy Saturday so can't make Skirrid trip. Nice u hear from u and glad your taking interest again in the DS scene. You certainly have the skills and model to push the current speeds up. Looking forward to seeing all the DS crew soon....hopefully on a warm windswept RE :-)

abbof3f

Hi Paul ,feeling a bit ds rusty at the mo,skirrid has slightly to much north in it tomoz,looking at some sled action on the orme sunday instead now with ron and ian
plonker!

Jonathan W

September 10, 2015, 20:04:27 pm #1265 Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 21:15:45 pm by Jonathan W
A speed from June: -

Date: 02/06/2015
Model: G26"
Speed: 160 MPH
Radar: Stalker Pro2
Witness: Keith Wells
Gyro: NO

deckit

Quote from: Jonathan W on September 10, 2015, 20:04:27 pm
A speed from June: -

Date: 02/06/2015
Model: G26"
Speed: 160 MPH
Radar: Stalker Pro2
Gyro: NO

Great job, Jon, that appears to equal the fastest recorded 26" span plane.
And only 11 mph from the 'Tweety' world record set by a 30" span.

What was the AUW that flight?
About to build (at last....) my replacement Stab, very much lighter than earlier/original, it might even be controllable.

wdeighton

glad to hear your going to have a stab again soon.

Reminds me I need to order some new servos for mine. I put the receiver in connectors first, when I put it into the deck the magic tape worked well, servo gears are fine, but it pulled the wire out of the servo case :(

Bugger. Maybe I will but extension leads on it next time. This will also make it easier to assemble.

skirmish

Just had a Google search for Hombre Hill but couldn't find anything. Have recently acquired a nice Compact Wizzard so may be looking to do some DSing in the near future.

deckit

PM sent.

Quote from: skirmish on September 29, 2015, 09:43:12 am
Just had a Google search for Hombre Hill but couldn't find anything. Have recently acquired a nice Compact Wizzard so may be looking to do some DSing in the near future.

deckit

November 15, 2015, 15:29:06 pm #1270 Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 15:31:12 pm by deckit
A long overdue great day's DSing fun at RE on Thursday attended by a total of 11 pilots!
Including a welcome return, for the day, of Steve Rainbow on a turn-round Emirates run into Manchester.
And a welcome to Martin Lawrence who recorded a very impressive first DS speed with his Pace VXE.

The promised S-SSW'ly provided a settled backside & decent drive, so the 2 circuits were well employed, though the windstrength was (now customarily) below forecast & the rain arrived mid rather than late affie.

Enough though for Simon Cocker to substantially raise his PB with the freshly-acquired & magnificent D130.
Jon Wells, as ever, proved fastest of the day.

Met Office is promising big winds this autumn/winter, so hopefully another grand session soon.

Jonathan W

It was a fantastic day Graham, great to catch up with everyone.

Jonathan W

November 16, 2015, 10:01:50 am #1272 Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:27:46 am by Jonathan W
Date: 15/11/2015
Pilot: Jonathan Wells
Plane: D60
Speed: 258mph
Radar: Stalker pro 2
Gryo: "NO"

Date: 15/11/2015
Pilot: Jonathan Wells
Plane: Gecko 26"
Speed: 172mph
Radar: Stalker pro 2
Gryo: "NO"

G26" : -
AUW 275g
Wind Speed 45 - 60 mph,
Very knarly backside, worst I have experienced - lot's of saves. I need to fly this at Rushup/Skirrid in this wind.

[attach=1]

deckit

Wow, congratulations Jon on getting the 'Tweety' world record!
Let's keep it in the UK  :uk:

slopeflyer

Flew my d60 today, 50-60 mph on the front. Stunning little plane flew some huge vertical pipes, so much energy it was vertical until it was out of sight!

deckit

MO fcast for HH tomorrow/Sunday affy is West 40g70+  !
Rain of course, but hint of a break - wonder if anyone will take a chance.

Anthony

Just in case you don't frequent the other side.....

Spencer- K130- 513mph.