RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 15:34:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Midland flight training ?

Started by Paul-H, April 05, 2016, 13:01:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul-H

Hi all

Anyone used or got any comments on the flight training service offered by Midland flight Training

There are so many new members at my club that its almost impossible to get any consistent training in, so was thinking of booking in with MFC to get it all sorted that way.

Anyone got any experience with them or are there any others in the UK.

Thanks for any input on this

Paul

Phil_G

When we moved up to Ponty and I joined PANDAS I had to have an 'A' to fly (only 40 years experience you see) but never would instructor availability, time off and weather coincide.
So I thought blow it and went to Colin for an afternoon.
Lovely bloke, got my A, corrected some bad habits and had a few laughs along the way. Highly recommended!
Cheers
Phil

wunwinglow

Not used Colin, but your post leads me to ask. How many instructors does your club have and how many new novice members join each year?

WWL

Phil_G

This was 10 years ago Allan, actually that hadn't occurred to me, times passes to quickly  :)
PANDAS now has several instructors, at least three examiners (maybe more) and in summer, every Wednesday evening they run a training session. 
I've no idea about numbers but we see new members all the time, more retirees than youngsters though. 
Cheers
Phil

Paul-H

Quote from: wunwinglow on April 06, 2016, 20:19:29 pm
Not used Colin, but your post leads me to ask. How many instructors does your club have and how many new novice members join each year?

WWL

Only two Instructors and one as not been for months, we have been getting 2 or 3 new members a month for the last year, so everyone is a little swamped at the moment.  Three of us joined the same time late last year, 2 have already got their A's because they had friends in the club that helped them fly, I am still waiting to get my first flight in.

Phil_G

Maybe ring Colin for a chat about your options Paul, he's very approachable.
Appreciate though that it is his job, and of course a job has to pay the bills.
I'm thinking if you've not flown at all before you might not cram it all into one day so it gets more expensive, but you need to relate this to the years of pleasure you derive from flying and that you only have to do the A once.
Your 'A' lasts forever, whereas it can cost you £150 to see Bon Jovi for just two hours, its a matter of perspective.
Cheers
Phil

Handbrake Harris

Hi,

What area do you live in?

Maybe another club could help with teaching - this may mean paying another club fee for a year but at much less cost than paying an instructor privately?

Jez
Honest - it weather cocks..

itsme

That really winds me up Jez. Someone joins a club in order to learn to fly, take up the time and trouble of the club instructors then they bugger off to another club. That's the best reason I have come across to charge for instruction.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

itsme

I actually had one guy ring me up from 60 miles away, wanted to know if he could join the club for six months at a reduced fee in order to learn to fly. I pointed him in the right direction.....

Phil_G

...but in this case Paul is only looking elsewhere because his own club doesnt have the resources...   $%&

itsme

Which is totally unfair on the club that takes him on to teach him because his own club can't be arsed. I am all for guys setting up as instructors and charging, as nothing annoys me more than working for a long time to get someone to the stage of getting their A and they then say "see you- off to my local club now"