RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 15:27:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Noob needs help with Bixler prop

Started by Dav51, March 21, 2016, 11:54:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


March 21, 2016, 11:54:50 am Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:57:34 pm by Dav51
Hi fellas,
This Bixler is doing my head in.
Right, I'm a complete novice, bought a used Bixler 2 off an  auction site, big mistake. Joined BMFA and a local club to learn how to fly. Needless to say wing fell off on second flight. Unrepairable! Not a problem, this time I'll buy a Bixler v1.1 ARF.
That's a joke!  The servo's are in, and that's it. Anyway, after gluing it together twice it's hopefully up and running. Bound to my dx6i and motor running the right direction. Now,  the prop, well the bit it attaches too. How in the name of all things holy do I put that onto the prop shaft? I understand it has to be stiff but I'm going to break the motor, and shouldn't I have done this before I put the motor in the plane?

graham bowers

It is a collet type prop adapter so tightening the spinner on the threaded shaft also acts to tighten it on the motor shaft.

1) Remove the prop from the adapter and remove / loosen the hub from the threaded shaft.
2) Place the threaded shaft on the motor shaft.
3) Place the hub on the threaded shaft.
4) Place prop on threaded shaft.
5) Add washer and spinner.
6) Tighten up.

That should do it.



March 21, 2016, 12:36:42 pm #2 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:37:45 pm by Phil_G
Also note that he front of the prop faces the direction of flight, regardless of it being a pusher or tractor.
This means that if you look at the Bixler motor and prop in isolation, disregarding the layout, the prop is mounted to the motor in the reverse sense when compared to a conventional tractor mounted motor & prop on say a Cub for example.

I'm a bit concerned about the standards at your new club and the guidance you're getting - even a rudimentary preflight check should have found loose wings!



That's fantastic guys. The collet looked like it was in one piece. I couldn't work it out. All makes sense now.
Phil, the carbon spar running through the wings was broke when i got it and I didn't realise. There was about 8 inches of carbon rod stuck in the wing and i didn't know the spar that was fixed in the other wing was too short just meant it was weaker one side. It was a tad windy and the wing just ripped off. It's all a learning curve, I should have bought a new one first and not been a cheapskate! The guys at the club have been great.
Thanks again fellas, I might just be able to fly this this week without the wings falling off!!

graham bowers

Even in as-new condition, the tubular wing spar in the bix is marginal, at best. Do yourself a favour and either replace it with solid rod, or epoxy some rod inside the tube. I'd intended to do this at build time but didn't, until after it failed in a fairly innocuous prang. I put about a foot of 4mm piano wire in the middle of the tube.


I agree, it does need something else for hooning strength, I've used Poplar dowel and held it in with gorilla glue - works good for me. Another thing that definitely helps although some won't want to do it is glue the spar in.
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

graham bowers

Dav51,  for completeness, there are loads of bixler modifications that have been flown, just  google bixler modifications.

I also did the  glue-the-wings mod for durability reasons. That made it harder to fix the spar, so if you do glue he wings, sort the spar first.