RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 26, 2020, 15:45:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

First 'proper' powered glider.

Started by DarrellW, March 05, 2016, 16:18:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrellW

After playing around with a couple of foamies (Multiplex Easystar 2, AXN floater jet, HK Walrus) I'm looking to buy something much better but not too expensive.
I've seen a couple, but not sure if they would be too much of a jump from the models I've been flying.
This:
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/s/products.asp?code=SKYLITE-VELOCE&name=skylite-veloce-electric-glider
And this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31411__Reverb_Full_Composite_High_Performance_Electric_Glider_1320mm_ARF_EU_Warehouse_.html
Any comments / suggestions gratefully received.
TIA.
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

FrankS

Darrell, what are you after a thermal sniffer or a performance machine, the HK Reverb looks more Hot/Warmliner than a glider, great fun it will certainly get a wiggle on, but is that what you are looking for, the Veloce looks more of a glider, but 1.8m wingspan might not have enough wing area for thermal sniffing in light conditions and at 1.8m you could be pulling out of thermals early due to it's size.

Have you had a look at the Multiplex Heron, 2.2m, flaps and ailerons and kit version is cheaper than both the above, friend has one and performance is very good, almost a mouldie wooosh on a flyby.

DarrellW

I must admit I had thought about getting a better foamy and not jumping too big a step, I had looked at the multiplex stuff but also the ST model ASW 28 which looks nice.

Old Geezer

Darel - A slight variation on Frank's advice. If you can lay hands on an EasyGlider Pro, that would be a very user friendly step up from what you've been flying, and will start teaching you how to thermal, not exactly flashy but an excellent workhorse.
A thought about the two you had spotted for yourself, they look as if they might snap if slowed down a bit, a tip stall at low level when landing (when you learn about wind shear the hard way) isn't what you need at the moment.
Go for the Multiplex option - you won't regret it. (I'm still campaigning my 2nd EGPro and a Solius.)
Can someone remind me what I came in here for.

jetster

I have an MPX Solious and it is a very nice model to fly both for thermalling and mild aerobatics. highly recommended.

DarrellW

The Solius and Heron both get very good reviews so at the moment i'm torn between the two, I liked the 4 servo wing on the Walrus but remembering what switches do what is not easy, that said it flies exceptionally well for how much it costs but thermal performance is lack lustre.
Probably the Solius makes more sense so as I can concentrate on flying rather than sorting the programming out :)
I guess I could programme spoilers in for landing or get or make some drop flaps to add if needed.
Thanks folks, good advice!!

Jas

EricF

March 06, 2016, 12:49:40 pm #7 Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 20:39:44 pm by EricF
I would recommend the Multiplex Heron which is known for being very well engineered and easy to put together. Take a look at the thread on RCGroups for confirmation.

Yes, it does have flaps but you don't have to use them initially. However once you have mastered flying it, you then have the option of learning how to use the flaps for landing and for camber changing when in flight. Additionally it has a greater wingspan than the Solius which means better thermalling performance.

My Cularis is just about worn out so I'll be going for a Heron to replace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JywuwdjiN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JywuwdjiN4

Best of luck and enjoy.
I'm not old, I've just been young for a very long time!

jetster

Quote from: EricF on March 06, 2016, 12:49:40 pm
I would recommend the Multiplex Heron which is known for being very well engineered and easy to put together. Take a look at the thread on RCGroups for confirmation.

Yes, it does have flaps but you don't have to use them initially. However once you have mastered flying it, you then have the option of learning how to use the flaps for landing and for camber changing when in flight. Additionally it has a greater wingspan than the Solius which means better thermalling performance.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Plus one on that

Patmac

If your after performance rather than aesthetics & don't mind building from CNC cut parts this Introduction REFM F5J looks to be a good option. Or the more sophisticated version, Inside F5J, with 4 servo ailerons as well as REFM.
The building instructions for both are downloadable in pdf format, including an English version for the Inside F5J.

I'm considering the Introduction (or possibly the Inside) as a birthday present to myself in a couple of months time.
Pax vobiscum

DarrellW

Both really nice models but i'm not very good at building, my Middle phase was difficult enough for me.

Jas

Quote from: DarrellW on March 06, 2016, 21:08:18 pm
Both really nice models but i'm not very good at building, my Middle phase was difficult enough for me.

I am just about to start another Elan build if you interested in buying it let me know  :af

namustang1a

Have a look at the greensleeve from jp , I have two and are my first taste of gliders of any sort.
Comes with a can motor not brushless preinstalled,2 part built up wing of 2m span , just add radio esc and batt and screw on the tail.
In mine I use a nimh in one and a 3cell A123 pack and both also have an rx batt.
Easy to fly and will thermal (not that I am any good at that bit yet)
Ian
Tree what tree...oops