RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 14:45:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Water resistant grease for floatplane flying

Started by grobo, January 26, 2016, 15:58:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

grobo

Hi Folks,
I am looking for grease which I can use to seal up little gaps on my 1/4 Champ to prevent water getting somewhere it shouldnt.

So far i've found really thick- "almost sticky" grease or really runny thin  stuff
any suggestions
thanks
Graeme

clive_f

Most of the water plane flyers i know would use vaseline.
However it as bad as glow fuel for getting absolutely everywhere.

Most of the WWPF use sealed boxes or balloons for putting RX's in and for wing seats cover the wing in cling film squirt silicone sealer on the fuz seat and bring the two gently together.  DO NOT screw down tight.

Let it all set and then remove the cling film. When you do bolt down tight you get a very good seal.

Hope that helps.  If not you will have to be more specific with what sort, size and location of gaps you are trying to seal.

regards Clive

grobo

idigbo

If the model is well sorted and well flown then at 1/4 scale would there be any need to smear it in grease? I had a 1/4 Cub on floats and it regularly flew with the cockpit door folded down and the  window open with no ingress at all. What size holes and gaps are you trying to seal up?

Ian.
THIS MAN KNOWS NOTHING AND SHOULD NOT BE LISTENED TO OR TRUSTED!!   -  Forum admin.

Bustergrunt

Deffo vaseline, plus smear it on any electrics then waft a lighter flame or lit macth over it and it instantly seeps into all nooks and crannies, I did this to all my servos on my seaplanes and never came to grief due to water ingress....duff batteries are, however, another matter 😕
I must get out more...

Cactus

have a look at the flitetest waterproofing videos
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.