RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 30, 2020, 07:28:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

New British DS record 368MPH

Started by wdeighton, January 07, 2016, 22:59:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wdeighton

Well we were not sure what to expect today. Enough for Steve to take his Kinetic 100 up. but I wasn't convinced so left my K2M in the car. (Its a 1/2H walk. Travel light)

Jonathan and Geoff were at the car park first, but it was raining so they waited before their assent, we arrive round 10:30 and started going up as soon as possible

The Sky was clear and the wind was blowing nicely and in the correct direction. Jonathan measured 35mph on top when we got up there.

I started off with my Odyessy (60" Epp). and the drive was good. BUT. The sun. I do anti clockwise circuits and the sun was right in the top turn most of the day. So I spent a lot of the day practicing going clockwise, its like learning to DS again.

After I brought down the Odyessy, Steve was up with his Blast. He often uses this model to warm up the reflexes. not too sure what he got out of it probably in the 160's

Jonathan then put up the K130. In honesty I expect to see it in the 300 range but only just. I got a couple of speeds with Jonathans Stalker Pro2, but then gave that to Steve and went lower down with my falcon. The flight was something to behold, the sound, WOW! the model was very well behaved in most cases with a couple of slight saves required. I got Jonathan at 331mph. My falcon was only picking up 1 read per minute. The model had to be traveling towards the gun for a moment at least. It was very exciting to get to the top and learn the UK record had just been pushed up again.

I was really impressed at what Jonathan could extract out of the kinetic. For Jonathan, he said "it is hollow victory I wanted more" Modest perfectionists hey!

Then was the Shot gun flight. First partly ballasted. between Jonathan and Steve that got into the 160's but the model was a bit light.
Steve is a very good builder. The finish of his models are always flawless. His foamies sound more like moldies. it was a pleasure to watch it fly.
Steve managed a good 15 to 20 minute session counter clockwise (His preferred direction too) while the clouds covered the sun. But he landed to add more ballast.

I then took my d80 up but the clouds had cleared so could only get 170's clockwise. Today was the most Clock wise circuits I have ever flow. Good practice, and I need to do more until it is more natural.

After I landed Steven got up the shot gun again this time full of lead. But at this stage the wind had dropped a bit and the sun was out again. This didn't stop him from having a good session dsing clockwise. He got relatively comfortable, kept pushing and pushing until he got his 173mph. After a good 30 minute session he brought it in and we packed up and headed home just in time for the rain.

All in all a good day for all.

wdeighton

jetster

Congratulations and hats off to you guys for pushing the boundaries like that.

Michael_Rolls

Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

jetster

Rather than a Kinetic it should be renamed  K'nell!  ;)

Geoff N

A short video of the record.[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/151133481[/vimeo]
What a great day , good company and good weather the showers went either side of us except for the last one as we started  walking back down the ridge 40mph sleet does sting a bit!. Learnt a huge amount watching and listening.
I havent flown much in the last two months and it was the first time I'd flown the Opus in really strong winds on the Skirrid , I did manage to do a few laps but it was all a bit nerve racking so decided to watch and learn at the feet of the masters. Think I need a day of 20-30mph. It was worth the trip up just to see and hear the K130 .

Jonathan W

The last minute call (night before late on) was worth it to see you guys again.

Thanks for the Video Geoff, nice angle.

Your Opus looked great.

cambrad

wdeighton

Ye, Loads, Good day, Loads of flying. Good to get so much DS time after a long drought, dare I say DS dissey.

Geoff N

s allright for some >:( >:(. not a decent days ds since January, a combination of weather, winds and funerals (not mine :) ).and not a flyable day in sight flipping SW winds grump grump. Even the wife is praying for W-NW winds to get me out of the house, its that or divorce . Still the law of.averages says there  there must be a warm westerly. some time?

wdeighton

Quote from: Geoff N on September 26, 2016, 22:11:45 pm
s allright for some >:( >:(. not a decent days ds since January, a combination of weather, winds and funerals (not mine :) ).and not a flyable day in sight flipping SW winds grump grump. Even the wife is praying for W-NW winds to get me out of the house, its that or divorce . Still the law of.averages says there  there must be a warm westerly. some time?

I hope I can enjoy it with you.
I miss skirrid