RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 16:22:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Orange rx3s dx6i binding probs

Started by Dav51, December 27, 2015, 19:22:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav51

Hi Ladies and Gents
Bought a Bixler 2 just before Xmas, a used one. In it is an Orange RXs3 reciever/stabiliser. I'm following the instructions to bind it to my dx6i. When powered up it flashes quickly then when I switch the tx on with the bind switch pulled the orange light flashes slower then goes off. The red light is on constantly from plugging in the battery. After removing the bind plug the controls on the dx6i do nothing. When the reciever/stabiliser is moved the rudder etc move so I know everything is operational in the plane. Am I doing something wrong?

DarrellW

Try binding it again with your dx6i at least 2M away from the model, it might have been too close when you tried to bind.
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

Dav51

Nope, still nothing. I forgot to mention that the dx6i was brand new. There isn't settings that need adjusting?  I've named model 1 Bixler etc I'm new to all this so I just know I'm missing something simple.

TigerOC

Have you checked that you're plugging in the power source with the correct polarity?
Fast flashing and red light normally indicate incorrect polarity.
When bound the light goes solid. If you have breaks in reception the rx will give pulse flashes indicating the number of times the link to the tx was broken.

Mr Magoo

quick question, is the reciever a dsm2 one ?
The Dx 6i  being brand new is probably only transmitting on DSMX

just a thought.
Cheers  Dave P
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Dav51

Hi, the polarity is ok. From what I've seen on YouTube the fast flashing etc is correct for the orange reciever.  I will check the DSM2/DSMX thing in the manual, I just thought DSMX was compatible with DSM2. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep trying.

Dav51

The rx is an Orange rx3s dsm2 and the dx6i is dsmx

Steve Lewin

Spektrum TXs sold in the UK in the last year or so have not had the ability to work with DSM2 Rxs.

EU regs made it DSMX only on new transmitters (which is one reason why I haven't upgraded mine).

Steve

Dav51

Oh right, thanks for that. I'll have to pop out and get a proper Spektrum DSMX reciever today and try it out.

Bad Raven

A few posts in this thread may inadvertently confuse.  It is a confusing matter! I believe the following to precis the history and current situation.

In the Beginning there was the short lived silver case DX6 running DSM, fairly rapidly replaced by the DX6i silver case running DSM2. Later silver case DX6i were DSM2 AND DSMX, this addition shown externally by a part "X" white graphic on the front panel. SOME of this type are still being advertised new sale by UK sellers.

The latest DX range "6" model Spektrum Transmitter with black case is the DX6 (Note, NO "i" suffix), and in the Euro zone this model is not stated as capable of DSM2 operation, only DSMX.  However, world sale items (USA, etc) of the latest black case DX6 ARE DSM2/DSMX capable.

Further legislation to come in the Euro zone in 2016 will force all NEW Tx's sold from that date to be unable to be back modded by firmware backdate to run pre latest Euro zone standard firmware.

So far all changes are "from x date", and do not force change retrospectively. If however you allow firmware update to occur, you may be forced by that update onto the new Euro standard.

HTH........................
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Steve Lewin

Quote from: Bad Raven on December 28, 2015, 14:04:58 pm
In the Beginning there was the short lived silver case DX6 running DSM, fairly rapidly replaced by the DX6i silver case running DSM2. Later silver case DX6i were DSM2 AND DSMX, this addition shown externally by a part "X" white graphic on the front panel. SOME of this type are still being advertised new sale by UK sellers.

It's actually even more confusing than that. The bit you've missed is that the DSMX DX6i is still available from Spektrum and any that arrived in this country after January 2015 were DSMX only. So any sold this year may or may not be DSM2 compatible...it depends on exactly when they were imported.

Steve

quorneng

Dave51
As you only have one plane you will probable have to abandon the Orange receiver (or sell it) and get a DSMX compatible one.
I have many DSM2 receivers so for me it was worth buying a second hand DX6i (as a spare!) so I could keep using DSM2.

Dav51

Thanks for all the input fellas. Went out yesterday and got an AR610 DSMX reciever. Charged up the battery, bound it to my dx6i and hey presto everything works bar the motor which just makes a funny clicking noise but ailerons, rudder and elevator are working as they should. Seems like I've opened a can of worms but that's the beauty of fleabay I suppose. Never a dull moment!!

Dav51

Just attached the battery, switched on the tx the model made a few loud bleeps, a twitch of the throttle and it nearly flew off the table. I'm pretty sure I might have been too close before, being a noob!! But all is looking ok at the minute. Thanx for everything guys. Just waiting for a reply from the local model flying club now and hopefully I'll get to learn how to fly the damned thing.