RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 14:48:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Building Boards

Started by grobo, December 22, 2015, 12:51:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

grobo

Hi folks,
Any suggestions how to "build" a decent building board.

Currently I use an old supele door with cork tiles glued onto it but it doesnt give much depth for pinning.
cheers
Graeme
:uk:

itsme

I use 20mm mdf with a 12 mm plasterboard on top. Takes pins great and you can even draw on it.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

PDR

Keep your existing door, but replace the cork tiles with sundeala board (pinboard - available in board-sized pieces from DIY shops). The Sundeala is 3/8" thick and holds pins well. If you really need more pin-depth or a slightly firmer surface then glue cork tiles in top. Mine has a layer of cartridge paper glued on top with wallpaper paste on which I've drawn a 1" grid on that with a fine-tip indelible pen and then covered the surface with clear sticky-backed plastic (I was a blue peter kid - so bite me!). After a few years of use the pinholes start the plastic pealing, so I just peal it off, apply another layer of paper and start again. I've done this twice in about 30 years, so it's worth the time.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

THE BLACKBIRD

I use 30mm kitchen worktops with 12mm plaster board laid on top, takes pins ok and I can get it 3300mm long and its cheap, so is replaced often because even though I have cutting mats I still cut on the board
Tony
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything

Kevin Fairgrieve (NSS)

An old door with plaster board.

[attachimg=1]

Takes 1/3 scale plans in its stride.

[attachimg=2]

Kev

grobo

Hi NSS,
Looks the business
Thanks for the reply.
How do you secure the Plasterboard to the door..if at all..#
Cheers
Graeme

itsme

No need.it stays there. I cover any cut edges with masking tape to stop you getting white lines on your trousers! When it gets knackered just turn it over.

grobo

Perfect.
Will give it a go.
Cheers
Graeme

Kevin Fairgrieve (NSS)

Quote from: itsme on December 24, 2015, 17:21:06 pm
No need.it stays there. I cover any cut edges with masking tape to stop you getting white lines on your trousers! When it gets knackered just turn it over.

What he said.

:af

Kev

grobo