RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 15:09:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Transmitter recommendations for a mature beginner

Started by Paul-H, August 02, 2015, 12:17:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul-H

Hi all

Being a mature beginner to RC Flying I am looking for some advice for a  suitable Transmitter, I don't have a huge budget and have been searching on-line for some suggestions and came up with the following systems, both being similar in features and price, would these be a good choice or are there any better options available.

The models I have been looking at are

Flysky FS-T6 2.4GHz 6CH Mode 2

and the

RC Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver (Mode 2)

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

itsme

I have no experience with those, I find my Hitec Aurora does everything I need very simply. If I was starting now, and had a low budget, I think I would buy a second hand FF9 transmitter, 35mhz, they are going cheaply, and put a 2.4 module of your choice, (frsky,futaba or hitec) in it. A quality transmitter for not much money.

FlyinBrian

You should also check out the new Spektrum DX6. or if five channels will do the DX5

Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

itsme

Its worth checking out the prices of receivers, as these will be a large drain on resources, Orange seem to do a good job cheaply, Futaba are pricing themselves out of the market. Again, I rate the Hitec stuff as not cheapo, but reasonable, and pretty bomb proof. And simple to use!

Steve J

Quote from: FlyinBrian on August 02, 2015, 12:56:26 pm
check out the new Spektrum DX6

+1.

The DX6 is a lot of transmitter for the money. It has a nice lady inside who talks to you, I'm pretty sure that I has Spektrum's wireless trainer functionality and it allows you to take advantage of Horizon Hobby's range of Bind and Fly models.

Steve

DarrellW

I've got a Turnigy i6 that I got as a 'throw in the car' job for cheap foamy models but have to say it punches way above its price!
It does anything I need a 6 channel radio to do.
The only downside is that if you are learning to fly and need to be buddied then you will have a problem, in which case I would recommend the dx6 as has already been said.
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

gavin mack

Kings Lynn models have the spektrum dx6i (dx6 predecessor) for £65 inc del
Gravity never loses, The best you can hope for is a draw
It takes 2 years to learn how to talk, and a life time to control your mouth.

Phil_G

Terry Clarke

The problem with the DX5e and the DX4e is that neither can store more than one model. I have a DX8, DX6 and DX5e and have had a DX6i. The ability to select a model and be fairly sure it will fly without massive adjustments to the trim (and servo reversing etc if you haven't written it down somewhere) is, in my opinion, quite important. I use the DX5e for a yacht and a land-yacht.
A DX6i only costs about £20 more than a DX5e. I would buy a DX6i or DX6 depending on budget.

FlyinBrian

Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

FrankS

Quote from: Terry Clarke on August 02, 2015, 23:14:48 pm
The problem with the DX5e and the DX4e is that neither can store more than one model. I have a DX8, DX6 and DX5e and have had a DX6i. The ability to select a model and be fairly sure it will fly without massive adjustments to the trim (and servo reversing etc if you haven't written it down somewhere) is, in my opinion, quite important. I use the DX5e for a yacht and a land-yacht.
A DX6i only costs about £20 more than a DX5e. I would buy a DX6i or DX6 depending on budget.

Luxury, when i started out we had it tough! mechanical trims, no servo reversing or exponential, but you try telling the newbies today................................ :''

Ahhh...the good ole days, smallpox, diphtheria, 2 weeks off school with mumps, Second World War and non computer transmitters. But try and tell them today😉
Beer is proof there is a god who loves us and wants us to be happy.

Phil_G

August 04, 2015, 08:40:30 am #12 Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 13:35:21 pm by Phil_G
When I were a lad there were no monty python ter misquote, us yorkshiremen had ter mek us own comedy...

itsme

Transmitters? We had two bits of wire tied to a handle and the aeroplane. They don't know they're  born these days.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

itsme

And while we are on the subject, what has the BMFA ever done for us?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Beereycalfs

when starting out and on the search for a new transmitter there are a few things you need to consider
1. price
2. functions (will it do what you want now and in the near future)
3. compatibility (will people be able to operate it for you and buddy box you up)
4. cost of receivers

the turnigy you mentioned is open source software i think, and there are a few problems with this, if you are not very familiar with this software it can be a complete nightmare to just reverse a servo (ask me how i know) so when you turn up with the tx at a club be prepared for people not to have a clue how to operate it for you

the frsky unit i am not too sure on although the system has many fans due to budget prices and reliable radio link, but again be careful with how the software works

whilst i hate horizon hobby the DX6i may be your best bet, the unit is cheap and i can almost guarantee someone at whatever club you go to will know how to set it up and even buddy box you.

it is more important to be able to get in the air quickly and reliably in the early days than out and out cost savings, the last guy who turned up at the patch with a turnigy radio spent nearly 3 hours trying to read the manual online rather than flying.

PS i am a JR man

Loopdreams

Yeah I'd suggest the DX6i too.  I think it's a decent bargain right now and since they went to DSMX there's really little to choose between the various 2.4GHz protocols used by the different brands.  You'll also be able to sell it on easily enough if and when you decide to move on.