RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 30, 2020, 08:23:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

DLG replacement boom

Started by dogshome, May 31, 2015, 23:36:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dogshome

After some dodgy landings due to a slipping elevator pushrod, the fuz gave way in grand style on my HK mini DLG. Crack! On launch.

The mini DLG is a bit heavy and the design isn't great. Butt jointed wing TE, holes drilled in boom to mount the wing , stick on carbon fibre and a weak point where the pod joins the boom...

Still worth repairing though as its great fun!

Fishing pole tips are carbon, cheap, light, stiff and available. Tackle shops have odd ones very cheap and they are perfect replacements  :)
肉(ròu)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun

dogshome

Like a plonker, I launched my ELF with a nearly flat battery. Waggling of sticks all OK and I'd charged maybe 20 mins Max flight time before. Splat and fuz snapped in three.

Tiny 1S 160mAH indoor style batteries on a 5V step-up are great and aid the CofG, but really don't last long at all - even on two miniscule 3g servos and 2.4G rx.

So 250mA smart lipo with flashy warning LEDs going in somehow!

Fishing pole tips are an exact replacement for the ELF  :af

charnwooduk

have you tried without the step-up .. many servos and most recievers work fine on 1s

short and sweet repair guide for a boom:-
tack together with CA and kicker
sand smooth
1 or 2 wraps of uni-carbon 100GSM is fine, wet out with laminating epoxy and then remove as much epoxy as humanly possible with kitchen towel
wrap repair in stretched insulation tape, sticky side up
wait for cure

done :) only adds a gram or two

dogshome

No not tried. The RX and servo specs say no.

Boom was broken at front of wing, back of wing and at joint with fin, so a bit beyond repair! The Elf boom is not too flimsy but it saved the expensive wing and radio gear.

The launch normally gets me around 25 M. This went about 3M before it went in :)

The hobby king one had just split all over. They fit the wing etc by making holes in the tube.ugh.