RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 15:23:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

New BMFA Fixed Wing Power Flight Training Manual. "A Flying Start"

Started by Big A, April 16, 2015, 14:46:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big A

This could be useful for any beginners out there looking to start flying fixed wing models. It's the replacement for the Up and Away guide.

https://www.bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2228/New-BMFA-Fixed-Wing-Flight-Training-Manual-A-Flying-Start

JohnP

Thanks for the info, Andy.  Until now, new BMFA members got a voucher for a free copy of "Up and Away" (though I suspect few used them.)  Will they now get vouchers for the new publication instead?

Can you also explain the following advice on electric motors, quoted in two places;

Page 18 - Propellers and rotor blades should be removed for any indoor testing but no more than half power should be used without a propeller, as the motor could be damaged.

Page 32 - Check that moving the throttle control forward about halfway starts the motor (don't use full power without the propeller fitted as this could damage the motor), and...

The red bits are red in the manual too - not just my emphasis - but those are the bits I am querying.  I have seen similar advice only on rare occasions, and can see no reason why it could be true.  But as a club instructor I could be asked by a student pilot to explain it.  Currently I can neither explain it, nor agree with it,  and that puts me (and/or the BMFA) in a slightly awkward position! 

[Update]  After googling the subject,  nearly all the "don't do it" warnings seem to come from 10+ years ago - the very early days of brushless motors,  and some of them seem rather confused in their explanations.  So is this really an issue or not?  $%&
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

FrankS

John, it seems that some of the motor manufacturers also warn against this too, I found this on RCgroups

[attachimg=1]

So maybe BMFA are just repeating a manufacturers warning.

Phil_G

Maybe its also a terminology thing... for example where they say dont use half or full power with an unloaded motor... they must mean half or full throttle as there is no way an unloaded motor would consume or deliver anything like half power.
Either way its the principle that counts and what the author is conveying makes general sense if you read it from a beginners perspective  :af
Cheers
Phil

Big A

Quote from: JohnP on April 16, 2015, 22:14:01 pm
Thanks for the info, Andy.  Until now, new BMFA members got a voucher for a free copy of "Up and Away" (though I suspect few used them.)  Will they now get vouchers for the new publication instead?
They will.  :uk: :uk:

JohnP

Quote from: FrankS on April 17, 2015, 09:02:10 am
John, it seems that some of the motor manufacturers also warn against this too, I found this on RCgroups

Yes,  I saw that too.  I also saw that it was posted twelve years ago. 

Can anybody point to a contemporary example of such a warning?  And preferably one that states a plausible reason rather than just repeating what somebody else might have thought a dozen years ago?
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?