RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 05, 2020, 08:35:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

FPV: Goggles or display?

Started by Wiz, April 09, 2015, 15:00:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiz

April 09, 2015, 15:00:42 pm Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 15:02:21 pm by Wiz
If you fly FPV either fixed-wing or multi-rotor, what do you use and why?

I love the idea of goggles because it is a more immersive experience but, I also like to think I have line-of-sight if needed, especially if things go a bit pear-shaped, without the need to fumble around getting the goggles off and then searching for the model in a big sky!

The downside is with a display, as I see it and having flown with an iPad as a display, screen glare - I found that even with a sun shield it could be a problem.

What's your preference?
The buck stops here.

Loopdreams

Goggles with a VRx built in all the way for me, both for better visibility and also for the fact that I only have to carry the model, the transmitter and the goggles.  If I'm flying FPV then it's for the whole flight, I've never yet needed to remove them and try and fly LOS.

Wiz

QuoteI've never yet needed to remove them and try and fly LOS.

A question then, if I may?  What field of view do you have with goggles, 35 degrees or is it more?  I suppose my concern is that of needing to be aware of what's around me, people approaching etc. or what's to stop me turning into a tree (I don't mean metamorphosing arboreally speaking) that would usually be in my peripheral vision but isn't with goggles on - or am I over thinking this?
The buck stops here.

Loopdreams

April 09, 2015, 21:52:11 pm #3 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 21:53:20 pm by Loopdreams
There's two things here.  The actual screens as they appear through goggles typically cover between 25 to 40 degrees or so.  The best description I can give is like like sitting in a darkened room about six feet or so from a 42" TV.

However your actual field of vision is determined by how wide the lens is on your FPV camera and this is usually more like 120 degrees.  In practice you are far more aware of your surroundings than you are flying LOS with your gaze fixed on the model.

FrankS

If you are flying FPV then you are meant to fly with a spotter and they will make you aware of your surroundings and stop you from flying too far away etc. At the moment I've only done a couple of flights using googles but did them on a buddy box, working up to going buddyless.

Kevin Fairgrieve (NSS)

Want to see my first FPV flight with goggles.

Cheap 808 key camera until things get better.

Oh dear. Things can only get better.

Kev

Wiz

Were you going for endurance Kev? ;)
The buck stops here.

DarrellW

Quote from: NSS on April 10, 2015, 17:27:35 pm
Want to see my first FPV flight with goggles.
Cheap 808 key camera until things get better.

Oh dear. Things can only get better.
Kev

Don't worry,  it's all part of the learning curve and fun - doesn't seem like it at the time but you will soon look back on it and have a bit of a giggle about it!
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

Mudders

Great vid Kev, but you could improve it with proper titles and a sound track  ;D

Little tip, get her up quick, once you have some air under it it's easier (no ground effect).

As for the goggles debate, for me it depends on what I'm doing and where I am. If I'm not 100% with location or just want a few shots for filming I play it safe with a screen. Otherwise it's goggles all the way and get immersed!

Muds

paulinfrance

I started over 15 years ago with a TV in the boot of my car and cardboard boxes to keep the daylight out, I went on to mini screens in boxes but the light that always comes through some small hole is a B,,, headache, the only way to go is goggles.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly