December 05, 2020, 14:41:52 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 05, 2020, 14:41:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Prospeed

Started by Geoff N, March 25, 2015, 14:50:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff N

Hi. I have finally got a Decatur Prospeed gun in good condition, ;) but it has no handbook with it. :-\
So some questions-
Can anybody scan a copy of the handbook for me pretty please.
How long does the gun work for on one set ordinary versapak battery's?
Has anybody swapped out the existing batteries for li-ion?
Has anybody got any old faulty batterys ?
The gun has a non standard serial port what's the pinout and speed?
I do a fair bit of Dsing on my own at carfuly selected sites re safetey  and a transmitter in one hand and a gun in the other does not work.
So I have invented Speak my Speed
The idea is to send the speeds from the serial port to a bluethooth serial dongle, then to my Android smartphone .which will then speak the fastest speed recorded in the last 10 sec.
Any help or suggestions very welcome.
Geoff (no mates)

AJH

"So I have invented Speak my Speed"
"The idea is to send the speeds from the serial port to a bluethooth serial dongle, then to my Android smartphone"

I'm not clear which bits you need help with.

I have sent telemetry data from the serial port in my Multiplex Tx to my Android via a BlueTooth dongle and generated spoken values. 

If you are lucky and the serial port simply outputs ASCII speed data every time you press the trigger, a 'scope and trial and error will probably provide a solution.

AJH

Geoff N

Thanks for the reply
What app did you use on your smartphone? I've had a look and while there are various blue tooth terminal apps that look like they will receive the data none can do text to speech , also the app will need to select the highest speed from the last 10 sec.
I've installed Android Studio and I'm working through various tutorials, but its going to be a steep learning curve from my old visual basic days.

AJH

"What app did you use on your smartphone?"
I wrote it from scratch (more accurately, cribbed bits of it from examples).  I am a novice Java/Android programmer but used to earn my living writing PC software.

"its going to be a steep learning curve from my old visual basic days"
Indeed.  Knowledge of VB will probably be as much of a hindrance as a help.

The text to speech is straightforward (by Android standards), but the BlueTooth bit is much more involved.  My advice would be to do the speech bit first.

AJH

deckit

Hi Geoff,

Your topic is way over my head, but does this thread assist at all?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966732

Hope to see you later in the year :af
(Your mate) G.

Geoff N

March 26, 2015, 17:56:07 pm #5 Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 18:00:03 pm by Geoff N
Quote from: deckit on March 26, 2015, 14:35:45 pm
Hi Geoff,

Your topic is way over my head, but does this thread assist at all?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966732

Hope to see you later in the year :af
(Your mate) G.
/quote]

Thanks for looking but the second to last post in that thread is me :)
Just got down from Garway hill. The Skirrid was looking lovely in the sunshine and clouds with a wnw 35-40 mph

deckit

OMG, so Skirrid was perfect & no-one flying circles. :'(

Geoff N

I've got the app working,  Bluetooth and speech by copying /pasting from all over the internet.  An opensource app called blueserial forms most of it.
Only trouble now is the Prospeed gives out 90 speeds a second and my codeing is a bit rubbish so its not exactly real time at the moment.
But I'm chuffed to actually get the data out of the gun via Bluetooth to my phone which then speaks the speed every 10 sec.

wdeighton

Well Done! Proves as old as those cogs are, they are still turning in the correct directions.

Could you kit it?

Would it be compatible with the falcon?

Geoff N

May 03, 2015, 15:30:21 pm #9 Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 15:35:41 pm by Geoff N
The app is very primitive / bodged  ,are there any android/Java programers out there ? I belong in the era of GOTO/GOSUB I'm not object oriented.
The app  will only work with a data format of "000.0cr" "hundreds/tens/units/decimal point/ tenths/carriage return" at 9600 Baud at the moment , but could be changed to match  any gun with an RS232 output.
The blue tooth dongle bit is fairly simple   mini rs232 to TTL converter to a HC-06 serial too blue tooth circuit  both from ebay. I was lucky the HC-06 came per-programed at 9600 baud, but it can be change with difficulty . What output does the Falcon have ?.
On the only field test so far I found the  range between the dongle and smart-phone limited its only about 15- 20 feet.  It was fairly difficult to line up the model and gun  to get a reading, this was front side across the slope. In the photo the top white bit on the bank stick is the AAA battery the  bottom bit is the blue tooth.
I've modded the Prospeed's batteries  and put 18650 2200mha  protected Li-ion cells in the Versapak holders.
a bit of info on:-  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966732&page=2

AJH

Since I've just been meddling with my telemetry data logging/voice announcement application and you've just published the ProSpeed data format, I thought I'd try to incorporate ProSpeed data into my application.

I wrote a PC program to send simulated ProSpeed data out of a BlueTooth module and my Android 'phone is sitting here logging/graphing/speeds as I type.  It says it's processing about 150 speed readings/second on my bottom of the range HTC.

As I said before, I'm no Java/Android expert, but if you think it will help I can bring it with me to the next sunny northwesterly at Garway or email an APK to try on your Android.

AJH

Geoff N

May 03, 2015, 19:38:36 pm #11 Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 19:40:06 pm by Geoff N
Thanks for the offer of the APK I've sent you a PM.
An easy way to send simulated data is to make a text file with a few hundred entries like
Use PSpad or good text editor and save the file  with only CR at the end of each line and no line feeds .
Then you can  use a laptop with blue tooth and use Hyperterm to send a text file to the correct comm port.
My app is a modified version of open source BlueSerial by plastygrove.
I'm looking at adding variable speed rate ,at the moment it speaks the maximum speed over the last 10 sec every 10 sec and saving speed data to a file with a time stamp.
A Sunny North Westerly , we should be so lucky , although Wed Thur  may be good.

wdeighton

As  a Jeti user, we could add a 3chanel receiver and use the telemetry of the transmitter side to do the speach. I think I may need to get Ozi Geoff to have a look here.

Geoff N

Will does your Falcon gun have a data port / plug?

Geoff N

I did a  second field test yesterday. some good and bad points.
Lining the gun very carefully up on a distant landscape feature enabled me to fly more accurately and get more readings still not easy.
Bad point the limited range of bluetooth , you cannot get more than 20 feet away from the gun without the BT disconnecting . with DS you rarely launch and DS from the same spot. I'm looking into improving the BT aerials  1/4 wave is  31.25mm, a 1/2 wavelength antenna 62.5mm  full wave length  125mm not huge. Think I'll start at 130mm and slowly cut it down till i get the best signal.
Also getting a lot of spurious speeds on the gun  mainly between 72-84 mph and 172 -194 mph ?

AJH

"Bad point the limited range of bluetooth , you cannot get more than 20 feet away from the gun without the BT disconnecting . "

I have no experience of using these:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/wireless/bluetooth/bluesmirf-modem

and I'm not qualified to understand the data sheet, but it sounds a bit alike a longer range version of the BlueTooth module you already have.

AJH

Geoff N

That looks like it should solve the range problem.
But I am tempted by the ESP8266 module which  is a TTL "Serial to Wireless Internet device" IOT and has a range of 300m and costs £5!. Trying to get my head around the software
[url/http://m.instructables.com/id/Using-the-ESP8266-module[/url]

Geoff N

I've ordered the Bluesmirf module
For anybody interested I've attached my Android App  file its crude but works for me with my limited programing skills.
Normal disclaimer If the app turns your phone into a flower or starts world war 3 its not my fault.