RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 02, 2020, 15:05:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

LiPo repair

Started by fishypursuits, January 24, 2015, 10:48:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fishypursuits

Hi, I'm a beginner so please forgive my ignorance! I just crashed my newly built F550 hexacopter and damaged the balance plug on the LiPo battery. Does anyone know where I can get a new one fitted? (I don't feel confident in attempting myself, despite building the drone OK). Thanks in advance for any help

mase

January 24, 2015, 11:26:03 am #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 13:01:46 pm by mase
Hi buy a balance plug and heat shrink from giant shark or H.K this is important make sure you buy some lead based solder and low wattage soldering iron .The correct way is to strip back the wires push the heat shrink cable up the cable out of the way .Tin the wires and mechanically join the wires(you hook the tinned ends together) before soldering them i prefer to twist the wires together and then tin and solder the wires in one go when it comes to small gauge wires.Pull down the heat shrink over the join and use the iron to shrink the heat  shrink.

leccyflyer

Quote from: mase on January 24, 2015, 11:26:03 am
Hi buy a balance plug and heat shrink from giant shark or H.K this is important make sure you buy some lead based solder and low wattage soldering iron .The correct way is to strip back the wires push the heat shrink cable up the cable out of the way .Tin the wires and mechanically join the wires(you hook the tinned ends together) before soldering them i prefer to twist the wires together and then tin and solder the wires in one go when it comes to small gauge wires.Push the heat shrink over and use the iron to shrink the heat  shrink.

Not forgetting that you need to thread the heatshrink on for the individual balance wires, and keep it away from the heat, BEFORE you make the solder joints up. :''
Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

jwb

Even more important only do one wire at a time and fix the heatshrink on that wire before doing the next!!
Regards
jwb

Steve Lewin

If you bought the battery from a good LHS they will probably fix it for you.  I'm pretty sure my local one would ;).

Otherwise you're pretty much on your own. It's not difficult if you have the right tools and you're careful, as the others have said.

Steve

paulinfrance

If you do try to repair it yourself do it in an open space in case you short circuit if so you don't set your house on fire,,, :xx
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

mase

Quote from: paulinfrance on January 24, 2015, 12:35:59 pm
If you do try to repair it yourself do it in an open space in case you short circuit if so you don't set your house on fire,,, :xx
Cut and repair one wire at a time you will avoid shorting any wires take your time.A small pair of side cutters and pliers will defiantly help

JohnP

One other caution...  If there is any chance that the LiPo itself (and not just the balance plug) has been damaged in the crash then I would discharge it and dispose of it.  I'd rather err on the side of caution than have to deal with a fire insurance claim for my house.
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Cactus

just a thought, if all you damaged was the plastic of the plug you can buy a new lead, then one by one push on the little tabs that keep the connectors in place in the plastic and put them into the plastic hosuing of the new plug.

if a wire came loose you can simply peel back the foam pad on the end of the pack and see the point it came off.
unless you're confident it's best not to muck around here because you can easily solder acorss the gaps and cause a short.
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.