RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 05, 2020, 15:19:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

What would you recommend to a newcomer to powered flight?

Started by Wiz, January 09, 2015, 13:21:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

itsme

Yes, I am very, very impressed with the wot foamie. It handled a 20mph wind as well as my hefty Acrowot with 10cc petrol.

Mike_T

It's much more fun to fly in a wind, but it does encourage you to push the boundaries (I'm on my 4th...)

itsme

I'm considering buying one just to chuck in the car on a nice evening- I have a club near me suitable for that sort of model.

tsr

I think what is becoming apparent in this thread is that if you are being taught by an instructor you can advance to a much more responsive plane as a first model. If you are teaching yourself then it is not that something like a Wot foam-e would be a bad choice, but it is likely that you will get out of shape at some point and not be able to get out of it before mother earth rose up.  Which is where the Bixler type model with its very slow response while not a sparkling aeroplane it is does give the self learner more time to realise that they are getting into a problem area and do something else before it is too late.

Of course there are many routes to success.  Some have even taught themselves on their own designs that look a bit like SR71 Blackbirds not the route I would recommend. Buy a big pot of cyano if you must go that route.
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
You may need a box of tissues though!

itsme

Absolutely. When I first started I was trying to go it alone with a glider and a Cox .049 screwed to the front. I did manage a few flights, almost in control, before I found a club to join, built a Hi Boy and really started crashing. err, learning. I did have a friend who taught himself on a hand launched four channel model, but there were not many. I think these days the chances of learning on ones own are much better. IF you pick the right model.

wotrob

Hi,
I think the first model should be part of a strategy. I learnt the most from Zagis, electric and slope.
the electric at a scrap piece of common land where teenagers take their old mopeds and no one ever cuts the grass.
Add to that a simulator downloaded free, and an ic wot4 for the flying at the club.
So for me it would now be electric wot4. It can handle the wind and batteries are cheap enough now that to go armed with 4 packs is not unreasonable. But with some of simulator too.
If learning on your own, something with bounce ability. I wish that there was an updated electric zagi.
Keep flying
Rob.

Cactus

there is, ele-bee or many other millions of EPP and EPO leccy wings.

on the slope nothing gets people flying better faster than combat.
you learn to just react much quicker than flying other stuff and remembering prop up the wing rules and other stuff.
we've had guys turn up who can fly but are very green who can now mix it with the rest of us after just a few weekends and then have the confidence to go on to other models that might have taken us years previously.
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.

rogerandout

One problem with going it alone is control function, I had a friend who successfully taught himself and could fly Pitts specials etc, only snag was he had learnt that to apply up elevator you pushed the stick forward and pulled back for down.
Therefore only he could fly his models and he couldn't fly other peoples.

itsme

You have problems controlling your functions Roger?
Yes. I have seen that odd way of flying before.

Cactus

I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.

rogerandout

Quote from: Cactus on January 17, 2015, 16:54:43 pm
because servo reverse is sooooooooo hard to do ;)

It was then, it involved taking the servo apart and resoldering 2 wires,hardly practical in a field.

meharibear

Quote from: rogerandout on January 17, 2015, 17:01:46 pm
It was then, it involved taking the servo apart and resoldering 2 wires,hardly practical in a field.
Or swapping the black sticker servo for a red sticker one (or vice versa!)
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

Bad Raven

All depends on the person, but for people with little natural skill and lots of trepidation/nerves, the FlyingWings (now sold on elsewhere) Vee Trainer is a proven item.

I have taught a large number of kids to fly with one and when I inherited two more I passed them on to adults I saw struggling to get anywhere near solo flight standard with instructors on conventional trainers, particularly with the landing approach and take off transitions, prone to suddenly tent peg their trainers, which didn't survive and so they were spending more time rebuilding or building new than flying. 

One put his VT into the ground dumb thumbing, and the wing was in five bits, the fus sheared in two places. It was flying (perfectly well) again less than 30 mins later.

In both original adult cases with some field instant repairs they quickly became confident, put in a lot of flying hours solo, even in wind, and then managed easily the transition back to more conventional 4 channel ROG.

They are ugly and crude looking but by heavens they work well.  The last three who have had them have all said the best thing they did was to listen to me and give one a try.
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

tsr

Epp does have a lot going for it for the beginner intermediate. It can be used in simple or complex models it  is only just stiff enough but it is happy to be glued with standard cyano and can be stiffened with a substructure that the epp largely protects in the case of an arrival. You can paint it with car aerosols. It is rapidly repairable as bad raven says and you build pretty well any type out of it. I would recommend it as the material to use for the first model for a beginner teaching themselves to fly.
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
You may need a box of tissues though!

Bad Raven

Quote from: wotrob on January 17, 2015, 05:16:46 am
I wish that there was an updated electric zagi.

There is, all EPP and called the Slipstream.  Makes the Zagi look and feel like a Bullet (which for those not in the know was a brick). Will respond to minimal throws or extreme max possible.

I have three flying and cores to make two more. One is a slope glider, which despite me adding ballast for basic DS is good for less than 8mph upwards, another has 200 watts, is capable and fairly quiet , the third has well over 500 watts.(and is not so quiet  ^-^ )

Was flying the glider one at a slope last Tues, after flying for fifteen minutes I landed and the only two other people there asked me where they could get one.
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

RWalton65

I know this threads old and probably no-ones interested in it now. But as a complete newbie I stopped by for a quick read.
I chose to start out with a 4 channel SIG Kadet Mk2 with a four stroke 56 and Spektrum DX6 for no other reason than I wanted to build my model first. I understand the place for ARTF kits but was so disappointed by the lack of kits for self build trainers.
I'm about 20% through the build so far and loving every minute of it. I intend to join a club if I can find one near me in Milton Keynes so that I hopefully can find someone to buddy me for a short while as I learn.
One thing I can say though is that I've found Al's Hobbies in Wolverton to be a great help and a really good source of advice.  :)

itsme

Nice to hear! A lot of us cut our teeth on Hiboys and the like, I can see there is a lack of build it yourself trainers. The artf has made them redundant. Good on ya....

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

yellowdiver

well done and a great choice all happy to help on here. my club flies in  south Leicestershire if you need any help. :)