November 30, 2020, 08:22:31 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 30, 2020, 08:22:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

1/3 scale Orlik 2

Started by JohnMac, October 06, 2014, 20:07:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnMac

Yesterday after about 8 weeks of frustrations with Weather / Work/ family Issues, I maidened my 1/3 scale Orlik 2 yesterday.
The model is 5 metres span and weighs around 9.5 kilos, but I will now remove some lead from the nose 'cos it was quite nose heavy. I bought the model from Poland when I went out there on a business trip. My friend in Poland designs the models in CAD, converts the files and cuts the parts on his CNC router.
The model is avaible as a plan pack, with various accesories, ARC and ARF. Since I have no building time I chose ARF, which means that the model, with wholly built up construct, is built and then Solartex covered, painted and the decals applied. The control surface are already hinged.
I was left to insert the control horns, Install teh radio and balance the model. The build standard is far better than I could ever manage.
The model flew superby. Nose heavy based on the very conservative but safe CG position. Otherwise no trim was needed.  The controls are very well balanced and the model behaved well with CAR at about 70%, and 2:1 differential. The spoiler worked far better than I imagined and created no pitch change whatsoever.
Fantastic model. I have taken on the agency for this range of 71 models. If anyone is intereted in getting details please contact me on my Jettstream email. I am working on a glider site as fast as I can.
Jettstreamuk@gmail.com
John[attachimg=1]

SteveBB

Very nice John...Looks a lot like a Flamingo from below. Will there be any 1/4 scale versions? I can't see it would technically be a problem would it?  Which gliders are you anticipating being made? Name names young man!  :)
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

JohnMac

Hi Steve,
Pictures below
More to follow....

JohnMac

JohnMac

So these gliders come as plan and parts packs, arc, and arf formats.
Sizes vary by design and some like the Orlik are in two sizes (1/3 and 1/2 scale).
Since my Polish chum's website is down, and mine not yet built (you can't get the staff), if you are intersted contact me and I will provide full details.
jettstreamuk@gmail.com
www.jettstreamuk.co.uk
Regards,

John

FrankS

Hope it's at the Middle Wallop aerotow this weekend  :af

JohnMac

I would love to come to MW. It is a great meeting but sadly family duties will inhibit this. My Father in law comes out of hospital later today, and he is the main carer for his wife. We are not sure if he can look after himself.
Next Year.
John

jetster

71 models! wow that's quite a collection. They look quality John and good luck with them.

JohnMac

Thanks Jetster,
Well I was impressed by the guy and his quality. Lets see if others agree and buy them.
John

JohnMac

Hi Guys,
after just 3 flights with my Orlik it had a mid air. The pilot was a newby to slope flying and made a few mistakes.
Fiorstly he wandered off on his own so no chance for proper communication between him and me. Secondly he thought that his model was about to hit mine when in fact it was much closer to the slope than me. He was flying a 2.5 metre sports model on its first flight. He panicked and turned, right into my Orlik. Nobody had told him the blue sky rule (does everyone use this rule?)
The sports model hit close to the tip of the Orliks right wing, and I am thankful for the solid condtruction because once I had countered the Incipient spin caused by the drag of the model on my wingtip, the Olik just kept on going. The sports model then fell apart and was a total loss. The Orlik landed without further incident. Here is what I found. As you will see the solid hardwood spars stopped the wing being totally destroyed.

JohnMac

Once I had tydied up the damage and found good wing to restart from, I started building ribs and cap strips etc. I scarf jointed a piece of balsa in for the LE. I added soft 1/4 balsa sub ribs at either end to support the new sheeting. It is intersting to note that the spars are cotton wrapped to prevent bursting. It works!

JohnMac

I had stripped off the Solartex to the wing bend and Recovered from that point. I had been supplied with the original paint, and was offered the use of a spary shop to paint the wing. The result is as good as new. Roll on Spring.
Intersdtingly, I got a real kick out of repairing this wing and using skills that I had largely forgoten. I can't wait to have the time to build a traditional model again.
John

rcfanuk

Great job John, shame when that happens but at least it looks as good as new again. :af

Steve
Global Moderator
Dawn Patrol UK

Anthony

Rafale

John

You are an evil man! there am I a recovering Modelholic and there you pushing these toys at me through your website!  :D :embarassed: :ev

I like them all but have always had a soft spot for the Pirat, once I have my impending house move out of the way looks like I am going to have to unlock the wallet! and you do a yellow one, I went through a stage of only buying yellow models as the Missus would only see the colour, barely got away with that with the Reichard Lunak though!  ;D

Cheers

Nige.

JohnMac

February 07, 2015, 14:44:47 pm #15 Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 14:54:31 pm by JohnMac
Hi Nigel,
I know. I have a cackle that Boris Karloff would be proud of. ;D The Pirat  looks really nice. Quite economical too. BTW the prices on the Website are a bit high due to the fluctuations in the exchange rate, so if you decide to have one, let me know and I will work out the best price for you.
I have the Bocian on order for March. I need to get building cos I have a lot of hardware coming. I have just ordered a MPX Heron having seen one in Germany. Awfully nice bit of ceiling tile. That should take at least an evening to build. I already have an Erwin XL to put together, and I have ordered a 5 Metre Paritech DG300. Fortunately the Bocian should only be a couple of weekends to build.
That Lunak of yours is a very good performer too. I was really taken by it.
Regards,
John

JohnMac

Quote from: Anthony on February 05, 2015, 08:38:35 am
Blue Sky Rule.......!

Hi Anthony,
Hmm! it may be just something us up t'north talk about. I was taught that if a mid air looks likely the only way to avoid it was to ensure that you kept blue sky between the models at all times. Pretty obvious so far, but in practice the best way to achieve this is to dive under, or climb over the other model. The reason for this is the absence of reliable depth perception, meaning that trying to turn away is as likely to cause a crash as avoid one (exactly what happened to my Orlik). So the "blue sky" collision avoidance idea came about. The essential ingredient then is communication, lest both pilots take the same action with dire consequences.
Anyone else use this gem of wisdom, possibly known by another name?
John

Rafale

Quote from: JohnMac on February 07, 2015, 14:44:47 pm
Hi Nigel,
I know. I have a cackle that Boris Karloff would be proud of. ;D The Pirat  looks really nice. Quite economical too. BTW the prices on the Website are a bit high due to the fluctuations in the exchange rate, so if you decide to have one, let me know and I will work out the best price for you.
I have the Bocian on order for March. I need to get building cos I have a lot of hardware coming. I have just ordered a MPX Heron having seen one in Germany. Awfully nice bit of ceiling tile. That should take at least an evening to build. I already have an Erwin XL to put together, and I have ordered a 5 Metre Paritech DG300. Fortunately the Bocian should only be a couple of weekends to build.
That Lunak of yours is a very good performer too. I was really taken by it.
Regards,
John

Thanks John, I have been looking and looking there are many I like, just killed the laptop with the drooling!  ;D

Hopefully the end of March should see me settled, do you keep them in stock?

Because I may well order beforehand,depends on the lead times I guess, I will contact you regards the prices, will probably have a short list, the Pirat is still pretty high on that but I am being swayed!

Cheers

Nige. 

JohnMac

February 08, 2015, 08:18:50 am #18 Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:27:31 am by JohnMac
Hi Nigel,
None of these gliders are stocked. They are hand built to order. I will check on the current lead time for a Pirat for you. These are not massed produced junk like some (mentioning no K8's gathering dust in my attic) >:( 
The build quality is top class. He even uses glue. ;D
But miost importantly, he know what a spar is, and where to put it in a wing. These are models that can last you for years (if you don't mid air them that is!)
Regards,
John

JohnMac

Hi Nigel.
The current order book is 6-10 weeks.I may be able to improve on that a little, just let me know.
BR

John

Rafale

Thanks for the reply John, That is not bad at all is it! I know I won't have a fully functioning workshop for a while hence wanting a ready built one, the quality of these do show in the pictures and particularly in your repair, certainly gives me confidence!

I will PM you as I also am looking at a radio change this year too and you do one of the candidates!

Cheers

Nige.   

JohnMac

Hi Nigel,
Not bad for this time of year. If he keeps getting busier he is going to have to train his daughter to build as well.
Just let me know on the Radio front. Things are changing fast with Jeti at the moment. Lots of new stuff coming this year.
John

Rafale

Well that is it done, wallet mugged with the use of anesthetic!  :ev

Thanks John for you time and very informative emails, I look forward to seeing the Pirat and can't wait to see the new Jeti!

Cheers

Nige. 

JohnMac

I got several more flights in in the last few weeks. Firstly at the Leek and Moorlands site. Thank you gentlemn for you hospitality.
Then yesterday two great flights at Callow Bank.  I love this glider. It flies perfectly, it looks splendid with the sun (OK I am exagerating, sunlight) shining through the open stucture, it loops, chandelles and even rolls. Then it lands at your feet.
I have never had a vintage glider that had such pure handling. I am used to either poor performance but nice handling or vice versa. This model has both. I now have a Bocian from the same stable and I cannot wait to see if it flies as well.

John

Pete96

Amazing gliders. cool color combinations.