November 26, 2020, 15:10:02 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 26, 2020, 15:10:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Towline length?

Started by Mudders, July 09, 2014, 19:24:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudders

So me and a mate are gonna have a muck around with some towing. Tug is a Wot4 XL with 26cc petrol and glider is a 3m seagull K8. Our strip is not massive which got me thinking about towline length.

Is there a 'rule of thumb'? to determine minimum length??

Muds  :)

Patriot

Just Smile

Philip Goff

July 09, 2014, 19:44:06 pm #2 Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 20:08:15 pm by nmacwarbirds
Mudders
Are you bringing the K8 to Tibenham,
there will be a tug present. Muffler is taking his K8, it will be it's maiden flight.  :-X

Regards Phil G.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
Coltishall Memorial Flight. 242 Sqn.

CEEJAY

30 to 50 ft is quite short and could make it quite interesting, i think the one ian and me have used was 30 mtrs, but its a hoot!! :af :af

chris
I know THE answer!!......................42

Handbrake Harris

Agree with Chris on this one...

Get a builders 30m plumbline from B&Q

Its quite thick nylon with a fair bit of give in it.

Jez
Honest - it weather cocks..

Mudders

Thanks guys, so there is no 'rule of thumb' then?

30m is what I'll try, and if it looks too long I'll have to shorten it a bit!

I already have a towline Jez, builders line from B&Q, I have added the swivels etc too all some time ago but never used it!

Phil, I picked it up second hand but unflown yesterday, I have to put the release mech in and set it all up on my TX, so chances of tomorrow are slim as tonight I have to pack for the weekend, 3 shows in 3 days!

I look forward to seeing Mufflers, maybe I can glean some ideas  :) :)

Muds  :)

Michael_Rolls

Too short a towline can be a problem - any veering off line is that much harder to correct in time. I've only ever used a towline in free flight days - shortest I can remember using was about 70-80 feet for a series of small gliders 30-40" span and AUWs of 2 to 5 ounces.
HTH
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

SpeedsterDEN

We use 20 to 25 meters and a 0,6 mm fishingline loop as a weak link, for gliders up to 4 meters.

Good luck
Soren

Dynamic soaring will change your life..