December 05, 2020, 14:08:56 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 05, 2020, 14:08:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Fly Fly Swift S-1

Started by wunwinglow, June 18, 2014, 22:06:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wunwinglow

Spent some money at Weston and got myself a Swift S-1 by FlyFly. All looks good, apart from no obvious signs of how to attach the wings to the fuz. The instructions may as well be in martion, but not too fussed about that.

Has anyone built one of these and discovered how to attach the wings to the fuz?

Thanks

Butzi

Lightly coat the carbon wing dowel with a small amount of Pritt stick and this should stop the wings from sliding off.
Alternatively, screw a small hook into each wing root not too far away from the leading edge (assuming they're plywood), cut appropriate holes in the fuselage wing seat to accommodate the hooks, and then simply join together with a strong elastic band or 'O' ring. I've used this method on my Windrider Habicht and it works extremely well.

wunwinglow

Thanks for that Butzi.

It had crossed my mind to use a rubber band. Im a bit suprised that there aren't pre-installed captive nuts in the root rib, as is the case with my FLYFLY ASK 21, (half the price of the swift).

I could fit them, but don't really want to start cutting into the structure. I had wondered of there has been a manufacturing fault?

Maybe some further enquiries needed.
WWL

SteveBB

Quote from: wunwinglow on June 19, 2014, 07:06:45 am
Thanks for that Butzi.

It had crossed my mind to use a rubber band. Im a bit suprised that there aren't pre-installed captive nuts in the root rib, as is the case with my FLYFLY ASK 21, (half the price of the swift).

I could fit them, but don't really want to start cutting into the structure. I had wondered of there has been a manufacturing fault?

Maybe some further enquiries needed.
WWL

Ring up Gliders at Newark and order some of these....

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

RGN

Can you get inside the fuse and wing root? If so, use a pair of neodymium magnets - a pair 10 x 20 x 5 mm has a holding power of nearly 4Kg so should be more than enough, I would have thought.

You just need a slot to insert into wing root. Drill small hole where you want magnet. Use a syringe to insert some epoxy. Push magnet through slot - either there, or elsewhere in which case you can steer magnet home with another magnet. Let cure. Slide wing onto joiner. Put glue in fuse, add magnet and the pair will sort out polarity and position. Let cure.

Sorted.

Richard
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

wunwinglow

Thanks for the replies chaps, I shall investigate all avenues. Some useful hints there when I get chance I'll get it out of the box and have a try at the best method.

Cheers

swarrans

Or just tape them on with insulating tape.....

Simon
I'm back from the Dark Side - I like gliders!

paulinfrance

Quote from: swarrans on June 28, 2014, 05:50:50 am
Or just tape them on with insulating tape.....

Simon

Me too, I tape all of my gear, it does help aerodynamically,,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly